DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently driving a 1997 Ram 1500 5.9L w/ 163k on it. Its been a faithful truck for many years, originally belonging to my father in law, and I am the second owner.

I am looking into possibly picking up a 2004+ Ram Hemi, MDS or not. I don't need Mega Cab, or Long Bed, or 4x4 drive. I am curious what kinda of problems am I to be expecting, and how is the mpg in comparison to the 5.9L. I don't expect better mileage, but I don't want lower mileage. Currently in the 5.9 I get about 13 City, and 15 and very rarely (if its all highway no traffic, with cruise) 17 on the highway.

My real reason for upgrading is having the full doors, and just a newer truck. Also, which is better: MDS or no MDS, and what problems should I expect? I'm in Texas, so I don't worry about any rust.

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
i dont believe the mds system came on the 04's, but my dad did the same thing, except he went to an 05, I on the other hand went from an 01 with a 318, to my 03 hemi, and man its like night and day difference, SO much more power, controls and everything are so much better and me and him avg on the highway 19-20 MPG, and as far as problems go, me and him both have had no real problems out of our trucks, just take care of it and it will take care of you.

·
Wingviper
235 Posts
I went from a 99 5.9L to an 04 Hemi quad, the 04 is a much better truck comfort wise, better ride, more power, more room and better gas mileage (about 2 more mpg) then 5.9L.

Things you want to check out before you buy the 04, does it have LSD, if so are the clips still intact, have a shop look into that. Other then that my 04 is still like new, no problems what so ever.

The 04's do not come with MDS, that started in 06 models, I would not want that on a truck, but that is just me.

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Wingviper said:
I went from a 99 5.9L to an 04 Hemi quad, the 04 is a much better truck comfort wise, better ride, more power, more room and better gas mileage (about 2 more mpg) then 5.9L.

Things you want to check out before you buy the 04, does it have LSD, if so are the clips still intact, have a shop look into that. Other then that my 04 is still like new, no problems what so ever.

The 04's do not come with MDS, that started in 06 models, I would not want that on a truck, but that is just me.
x2, ive always wondered if the system fails can it get stuck in 4cyl mode?

·
2010 SRT8 Challenger
12,435 Posts
i dont know if it is possible to get stuck in 4cyl but i guess anything is really. the mds doesnt do much unless you drive like a grampa. i drive it like i stole it so it stays in 8 most of the time. mds is in 06-08 HEMI Ram 1500's. only "problem" i could think of would be the clips in the rear end if the truck has the factory LSD. which can be swapped out for an auburn or detroit tru trac if you really want. i say go for it!!

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
def. look into it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, a increase of gas mileage, that would be nice. I'm assuming they have to pop off the rear diff cover to check those clips out? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so isn't something I can do?

One thing though, I have the infinity system in my 97, and after 11 years, all but two of the speakers work. Did they fix this problem, or should I budget to get the all the speakers replaced if I get one with the infinity sound system?

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Ha the sound system, thats funny, i have never had a stock stereo system in a truck for more than 12 hours. . .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, I normally haven't, but at the time I got the truck, it had a Pioneer headunit, and all the speakers worked fine. One by one they started disappearing until the top passenger side door, and the rear driveside are the only ones that work. (yes, that makes for weird cross flow of sound....)

·
2010 SRT8 Challenger
12,435 Posts
yeah i made sure my 07 had the stock 4 speaker system so i could replace everything easily...even the infinity is junk IMO

and yes you could check the clips yourself

i get around 12 100% city, alot of short quick trips and close to 19-20 on the highway at 65 ish. if i drove farther in the mornings to work the city mileage would be closer to 13-14 im sure

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
rb said:
yeah i made sure my 07 had the stock 4 speaker system so i could replace everything easily...even the infinity is junk IMO

and yes you could check the clips yourself

i get around 12 100% city, alot of short quick trips and close to 19-20 on the highway at 65 ish. if i drove farther in the mornings to work the city mileage would be closer to 13-14 im sure

i agree about the radio, stock sucks and you should def replace everything for quality sound, and infinity is an improvement, but i would rather hand pick out my stereo system than have something pre picked and tuned for me

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also noticed the other thread talking about 89 or 93 octane for the Hemi, is that true for the MDS Hemi's, or all? Having to buy premium might not offset the cost of gas, with gaining 2 or so mpg....

·
Once and future owner
3,059 Posts
I've had no problems running 87-octane in my Hemi truck. Right now I'm running 91-octane because I tuned my truck that way with my Superchips Flashpaq. You will be pleased with the upgrade you are about to make in trucks. I went from a 2000 1500 Reg. cab/longbed w/5.9, auto and 4x4 to a 2004 2500 Quad cab/shortbed w/5.7, auto and 4x4 and what a first impression it made on me. I was sold on the first test drive. :D

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
The MDS did come out in 06 1500 HEMI rams. My 05 HEMI is about to hit 21,000 miles, and iave had no major issues with it, its been a great truck, i went from a 03 reg cab 2wd ram with 4.7 to my 05 Hemi 4X4 Reg cab ram, and wow what a diffrence, i love this truck!!!!!!!. Good luck on the hunt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I traded up from a '98 with a 5.2L to a '05 with the Hemi and I get better mileage with the Hemi. 1-2 MPG better in town and 3-4+ MPG better highway. I was just going to take the Hemi I bought out for a drive, because I was bored and ended up buying it. My '05 has about 70,000 miles and runs great. the clips in the LSD rear ends and the mode/blend/recirc doors in the HVAC system seem to be a couple of things to look at.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.