DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm a long time reader and a first time poster due to some unfortunate circumstances with my first Ram (bought it used from a dealer in Kentucky, got it "as is" and it was a total lemon even though the dealer promised nothing was wrong with it and it would run... sure it ran... but with every error code firing off :VHOT: ). I recently saved away again and went out and got myself a new truck this time. I got a black 05 slt in February. I have come to the conclusion, after looking at many Ram gallerys, that I really like the look of the sport a bit better with the matching paint. I'm not the biggest fan of chrome, I debaged all the chrome lettering... I got black American Eagle Mojaves... Black Westin Bull Bar and Nerf bars... blacked out and cleared the lights thanks to bubba... some black tail lights coming soon... and I really think that the chrome on my fender and bumper and the grille guard are kind of dampening the look I want to go for. I was wondering if anybody knew of a website where I could buy the sport pieces or if it is possible to strip the chrome off the pieces and paint over them. Also, will my bull bar still fit if i move to a sports style fender??? I really love the look of the Westin Bull bar and am not really willing to get rid of it if it wont fit over the sport fender... any help is much appreicated.

·
Registered
629 Posts
sorry I am not any help but lets see some pics of your rig, it sounds great.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
2021 Big Horn
6,400 Posts
You can strip the chrome by sending it to a plating company (probably very spendy), or you can sand blast it, and repaint it. I'm not a painter so I'm not sure exactly what needs done before paint, but chrome is just a plating, and can be removed.
I think you would be better off, trading your stock chrome here on Dodgetalk, or ordering a cover for it. A cover will use your stock bumper to mount a new one over top of it.
If you like the stock sport bumpers, you may want a street scene bumper, but there are many other covers you could get. Check performancecenter.com, or stylinconcepts.com. They both have a pretty good selection of bumper covers.

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
you can order the sport bumper cover and a roll pan from pretty much any body shop (I'd assume you want a rollpan instead of a paited rear bumper) and you can also get the front bumper cover straight from dodge

or, you can have your current bumpers powder coated black, look up dannyangulo in the sport truck talk section, he went this route

the way you're describing the truck, you want it to look like KTS' truck and not a "sport truck" (2wd lowered) so you just want color matched bumpers

if you do the sport bumper conversion, you need to order a few extra brackets as well

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
As said, there are a couple ways to get there... both are kind of spendy. There's a couple of member on here who have done that, but I'm drawing a blank right now as to who it was.

Something else you could do is to try and find the actuall gront, rear and grille surround off a "Sport" truck and use those and would probably be cheaper to go that route.

The Westin Bull Bar will work with either an SLT or a Sport bumper... I've had both and had the same bad on each. However with the sport bumper, it was a tighter fit, but still no issues.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry but no pictures for now. I had my digital camera in my backpack like an idiot and put it down with my heavy ass child psychology books in it and i just heard a lil snap. Now every time I try to turn it on, it just turns right off.

In reply to Chauncy, yea you're right I guess I'm not really going for a sport look. I dont realy like the idea of having to slow down to go over a speed bump or having to turn the car to get through a ditch. I am a pro-am snowboarder so I need a good truck with some good clearance, no offense to any of the guys with slammed trucks. Trust me... if I had the money, I'd have a slammed one and a raised one.

As for what I'm going to do. I'm a poor college kid trying to pay for school, apt, bills and all the goodness on a $14/hr daycare center job and snowboarding (it's the off season now so there goes that). I would like to just buy the pieces primed because I think that would give me the best paint job possible and since the Dodge is my baby, I only want the best.

I have never been too keen on a roll pan (you know... in case I back up into something) but I saw someone who painted his back bumper black, and I wasn't really feeling it, so I'm thinknig roll pan it is. Thanks bubba for the info on the sport bumper and the Westin bull bar. Now it's time to go make and save some more money and find a nice roll pan and sport bumper. What do you guys think of these?

Some reason when I'm trying to post, it is saying that I have one or more URL's and wont let me. So the website is partstrain and if you check out their ram stuff, I believe they sell a sport bumper. And as for the roll pan, I like a few from stylinconcepts

I just realized another problem. I plan on getting dual exhaust sometime in the future and wondering if there would be any clearance problems with a roll pan. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cfknight said:
where from ky are you from
Oh, I'm from California and bought the Ram from Kentucky. I've been looking for the dealership that I got it from so I can go around on all the Dodge websites and rip them apart.

I was told that the Ram was in the last hurricane in Florida and the original owner ended up selling it because he wanted a smaller truck. So of course I was skeptical... I asked if it took water damage... no... I asked if there was any rust anywhere... no... was the car good to go for a CA certified smog check... of course... I ended up buying the Ram and got it shipped for 16,000 which was quite a lot for me just coming out of high school.

I get the truck and it was a mess. First of all, all 4 tires were flat. Rust was on many of the metal components underneath the seats. Every single error code that could go off... would go off. The thing was a wreck and just not worth it to save it. I talked to my buddys parents who are both lawyers and they told me I didnt have much of a case because it was my word vs his over the phone and I did buy it "as is". I ended up donating it to charity and got the tax write off which wasnt much but better than losing all my money.

Now I saved away and got a brand new truck from a real dealer... something I should have done in the first place. If I could tell everyone here something... it would be to never buy a truck you can't touch and drive and look at because there are a lot of sharks out there... too bad I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Chauncy said:
a "sport truck" (2wd lowered)
How about sport truck (2wd not lowered) don't forget us. ;)

Attachments

·
DARKNESS
612 Posts
for the chrome bumpers, powdercoating is pretty cheap they charged me about $125 a bumper and as for the grille shell i found a sport grille shell on ebay for around $150 perfect condition if that helps any

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
DarksideTrucks said:
Sorry but no pictures for now. I had my digital camera in my backpack like an idiot and put it down with my heavy ass child psychology books in it and i just heard a lil snap. Now every time I try to turn it on, it just turns right off.

In reply to Chauncy, yea you're right I guess I'm not really going for a sport look. I dont realy like the idea of having to slow down to go over a speed bump or having to turn the car to get through a ditch. I am a pro-am snowboarder so I need a good truck with some good clearance, no offense to any of the guys with slammed trucks. Trust me... if I had the money, I'd have a slammed one and a raised one.

As for what I'm going to do. I'm a poor college kid trying to pay for school, apt, bills and all the goodness on a $14/hr daycare center job and snowboarding (it's the off season now so there goes that). I would like to just buy the pieces primed because I think that would give me the best paint job possible and since the Dodge is my baby, I only want the best.

I have never been too keen on a roll pan (you know... in case I back up into something) but I saw someone who painted his back bumper black, and I wasn't really feeling it, so I'm thinknig roll pan it is. Thanks bubba for the info on the sport bumper and the Westin bull bar. Now it's time to go make and save some more money and find a nice roll pan and sport bumper. What do you guys think of these?

Some reason when I'm trying to post, it is saying that I have one or more URL's and wont let me. So the website is partstrain and if you check out their ram stuff, I believe they sell a sport bumper. And as for the roll pan, I like a few from stylinconcepts

I just realized another problem. I plan on getting dual exhaust sometime in the future and wondering if there would be any clearance problems with a roll pan. Thanks for the help
Welcome to DodgeTalk!

You'll be able to post URL's once you have 15 posts.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
You can get a Road Armor bumper front and rear and not have to worry about slowing down for anything... :)

Oh, and Danny Angulo is who I was thinking of with the powdercoat job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.