DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New member here from Alberta Canada. I recently purchased a 2008 RAM 1500 TRX4 QC SB with the HEMI (17 inch rims). I've had a couple other RAM 1/2 tons, but this is the first one I actually own. Others were leased for work purposes. Since I own it, I can tinker with it.

I do a fair amount of moderate towing (approx 5000lbs) in the summer and fall months, so I'll be gearing most of my questions towards that. I've been reading the forum all morning and can tell you guys are going to be alot of help. I do most work myself, and have access to a fully stocked shop for more complicated stuff.

So far, I've installed a Pioneer system, Firestone Airbags, and a Prodigy brake controller. Next on the list is a Superchip Flashpaq which I'm trying to find a dealer locally who sells them. The boss says I'm not allowed to get new tires until I wear out the stockers, so that's why I think the SC is a good first performance mod. Gotta wear those bugger out!

After the tires are worn, I'm going to put a leveler kit on the front, perhaps new shocks all around (to be determined) and some 33s or 34s. Of course, with the bigger tires, I would like to add fender flares for the look cool factor.

Not too sure I'm sold on the CAI yet, so most likely the final touch would be the exhaust system. Reading the forum, looks like I have lots to choose from.

Let me know what you think. Any and all opinions are welcome!

Cheers! :cheers:

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
first off Welcome to Dodge Talk. Second congrats on the new truck

Sounds like you have a decent plan for the truck. Keep reading and you will find more and more that you want to do.

·
low n' SLOW
638 Posts
Welcome to DT! You'll find yourself addicted in no time. Haha.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yes I do have a plan for the truck. Don't want to do too many things to it, but SC, exhaust, tires and shocks seem like a good start.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
Thanks guys. Yes I do have a plan for the truck. Don't want to do too many things to it, but SC, exhaust, tires and shocks seem like a good start.
we all said that in the beginning :thatfunny

·
Registered
312 Posts
we all said that in the beginning :thatfunny
x2

I was planning on modding my motorcycle but once i crashed it... well, that game is over so now all my money is slowly draining into the truck... have a good time here, it's really a great site with tons of good info. Once you get your post count up post some pics!

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
Congrats, sounds like a good starter plan.:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
ol faithful
826 Posts
yea this site is pretty addicting too. and also adding parts to the truck (old faithful). also very good info. on lots of topics too. :-D

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
moe in wichita ks
good to have you with us Anglinfool. the cats on this site are great, smart, just all around good guys. iam the token old guy, my knowhow is stricktly old school.

·
Lovin My Ram
525 Posts
GEARS GEARS GEARS. if u tow 5000 pounds then definitally look into getting some 4.56 gears!

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
5k is nothing for the hemi with 3.92's.

·
Lovin My Ram
525 Posts
yea well anything can help right? a hemi with 4.56 gears will tow better then a hemi with 3.92

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts
Welcome aboard! You'll like it here; everyone is really cool. There is a ton of info available, and plenty of people willing to help. I noticed you are interested in a SC Flashpaq, you might check our classifieds section on here; you could get a used SC for 200-250. Have fun!

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
yea well anything can help right? a hemi with 4.56 gears will tow better then a hemi with 3.92
I'm not trying to argue, just throwing out some other considerations here.

Depending on where you live, 4.56 may not help as much as people think. For example if you live in a mostly flat area, all 4.56 will do is keep your rpm's unnecessarily high on the freeway. I live in northern virginia which is relatively flat so I like my lower rpm highway driving. If I lived or towed somewhere with lots of hills, than I would hate my 3.92's.

·
Ram n Ram Ram
1,384 Posts
Welcome to Dodgetalk. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks again for the welcomes!

When I bought the truck the salesman said the gears were 3.92. I haven't checked myself though. Its the TRX4 with the tow package. Wouldn't 4.56 gears kill feul economy?

Towing the trailer with the quad in the bed seems pretty easy. I use a stabalizer hitch and airbags, so it fairly smooth.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.