DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake line rusted, trans line leak, wheel cylinders, wiper delay, transmission, converter, radiator, heater core, track bar, u joints.
The truck only has 85000 miles and has been babied. I love the looks of this truck but it has become more trouble than its worth. It is just one problem after another. Does everyone have these problems?
:mad: If this keeps up my only choice will be to sell it and never buy another dodge.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Well as long as I have known about dodge, its been there M.O. They make shit that looks and runs good for a while, but then falls apart. Granted they make great engines, but as for longevity(truck as a whole..i.e., brakes, tranny, interior, amenities)...ford and gm are better. maybe these newer models are better. Chrysler is a hard headed ******* and soon toyota and nissan are passing EVERYONE up.

I live in San Antonio....when that new tundra factory is up and running I expect I will be able to get a tundra pretty cheap. When my '01 dodge dies. I am getting a tundra.

Have you seen the insides(engine compartment) of a tundra..easy to get to anything, easy to work on............and easy to mod...........look out 2008...I see a tundra with my name on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Weakest link in my opinion is the tranny issues. Mine is getting rebuilt right now..

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
flash gordon said:
Well as long as I have known about dodge, its been there M.O. They make shit that looks and runs good for a while, but then falls apart. Granted they make great engines, but as for longevity(truck as a whole..i.e., brakes, tranny, interior, amenities)...ford and gm are better. maybe these newer models are better. Chrysler is a hard headed ******* and soon toyota and nissan are passing EVERYONE up.

I live in San Antonio....when that new tundra factory is up and running I expect I will be able to get a tundra pretty cheap. When my '01 dodge dies. I am getting a tundra.

Have you seen the insides(engine compartment) of a tundra..easy to get to anything, easy to work on............and easy to mod...........look out 2008...I see a tundra with my name on it.
great engines?!!?!?!

have you missed all the pinging/detonation/tps/egr/iac problems the 360/318 had?

·
Registered
215 Posts
moefoehoe
I on the other hand am impressed with Dodge's integrity. And I was in my earlier years a staunch Chevy man! Now I've got 2 dodge rams and a buick park avenue in my garage and zero chevys. Face it--things go wrong. What is really bad is when the average joe takes his truck into the dealership to fix a $200 item, and the bill is like $800. That is when frustration sets in. Are you fixing these items yourself or are you letting the dealership fix them?
abe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive fixed everything myself except the 4 wheel drive u joints. I understand that every vehicle is gonna have problems but it is getting ridiculous with this dodge.
It truly is one problem after another and i have to have one reliable vehicle and its not getting the job done. I like the looks of the new dodge but im weary of buying one.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Toyata? Good luck pulling anything with that plastic garbage. Toyota and Nissan are going to pass Dodge? How there trucks are like the same as a Dakota. They are just a SUV with a 4 foot todally useless box like a Sport track, it's not a truck never has been never will be.

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
mocho said:
Toyata? Good luck pulling anything with that plastic garbage. Toyota and Nissan are going to pass Dodge? How there trucks are like the same as a Dakota. They are just a SUV with a 4 foot todally useless box like a Sport track, it's not a truck never has been never will be.
The toyota tundra has a 7100lb towing cap w/ 16mpg city, the nissan titan has a 9,500lb towing cap with their tow package and gets14mpg city. The nissan gets the same mpg as the ram but has a towing cap that is 700lbs more then the ram. They both have fullsize beds and are alot better built then dodge. Ive owned a yota and i had well over 250k on the motor that thing ran like a champ.

the last 3 vehicles ive owned were dodge and i can say for a fact that they are built like shit and anyone who disagrees is in denial.

·
Banned
493 Posts
mocho is in denial

·
Banned
493 Posts
Tundra SR5 Double Cab Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2WD
Standard Engine V-8 4.7L 282 hp V8 4.7L 235 hp V8
Horsepower 282 @ 5400 RPM 235 @ 4800 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 325 @ 3400 RPM 300 @ 3200 RPM

ram tough, huh?! :thatfunny

Valves/Valve Configuration 32/DOHC 16/SOHC
Displacement (cc) 4664 4701
Bore X Stroke (in.) 3.70 X 3.31 3.66 X 3.40
Compression Ratio 10.0:1 9.0:1
Fuel Type/System Gas/SEFI Gas/SEFI
Turbocharger No No
Supercharger No No
Optional Engine No data 5.7L 345 hp V8
Horsepower No data 345 @ 5400 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) No data 375 @ 4200 RPM
Valves/Valve Configuration No data 16/OHV
Displacement (cc) No data 5654
Bore X Stroke (in.) No data 3.92 X 3.58
Compression Ratio No data 9.6:1
Fuel Type/System No data Gas/SEFI
Turbocharger No data No
Supercharger No data No

look at the stock HP and torque

dodge you lose...again.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
9,500? That is nothing, when they can pull 15,000 then it will be a bit of accompolishment.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The Buick guy at work is not happy with his Tundra's thirsty engine and lack of power to tow his behemoths home, so I wouldn't go touting thier good graces too much.
Toyota and Nissan still don't make anything bigger than a half ton truck.
The reason Toyota seems to have such a great reputation is because our lefty media people see no problem slamming a Dodge, Chevy, or Ford recall on the front page while they do the PC thing with the Japanese makes and put them a page or two back in small print.
As for Chevy and Ford being higher quality than Dodge? How many of you guys have had a roller lifter fail? I have seen one Chevy and 2 Fords do this.
Oh my '03 Dodge van replaced a '96 Chevy that had to have the f-ing distributer cap replaced every 10,000 mi. It needed a new intake gasket at 70,000 mi. The tranny had been f-ed up since 80,000 mi. The door panels were falling apart shortly after I got it causing the side door to get stuck shut(I had to take it to a body shop to open it). The arm rests on both front doors broke off before 100,000 mi. I could go on.
I could remove the doghouse on that thing in my nightmares.
I have a coworker with a '98 Dodge 4x4 with a 360 and yes the plenum gasket went on it, the passenger side hub went around 40,000 mi, and the pass side U-joint went at 80,000. He has had no tranny problems.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you choose to drive a Dodge or any other make repair cost should be expected.
I have had to pay out for a lot repairs on my 97 Ram this past year but this truck has performed and worked hard through the years so I have no problem with making the repairs it needs.By the way it has 185,000 miles on it.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
the magnum engines are good engines when it comes to longevity I think. Mines got 143k and counting and starts up without a hitch in 0 degree weather and runs fine with no out of the ordinary things happening. I see 97ram has 185k and numerous others I can't remember have over 140k miles. I even remember where one member has a 318 with like 250,000 miles on it.

·
Banned
493 Posts
my uncles 5.2 has 260,000

the plenum gasket..........is this problem prevelant with stock exhaust or aftermarket flowmaster type stuff?

my 5.9 with 58000 and stock exhaust is fine.

i am the 3rd owner of this dodge...every thing check out. the original owner left the original registration in the owners manuel....so I called the dealer listed on the card and inquired about past work.....they said the engine light came on and it threw a tranny code. dealer said they were going to open the tranny, but the original owner declined service(this was in january) apparently someone bought the vehicle @ 47000 then trade it in @ 57000. dealer said "those lights don't go off on their own" and suspects that maybe the work was done @ an indepedent.

we'll see so far so good 1500miles and a 300mile trip and its all good so far.

·
Registered
868 Posts
All the doom and gloom on the Mopars pisses me off, because I was dumb enough to buy into it when I bought the '96 Chevy van.
The Dodge feels alot more solid than the Chevy ever did. The Chevy had all the problems that I was warned about on the Dodge.
It is really great to remove the upper plenum off an intake to change the injectors and or fuel pressure regulator.
By 1 month of ownership with the Chevy it had the fire department dispatched to it as it had a short(damn mice chewed the wires while it was sitting before I bought it) on the horn circuit and I wasn't home to fix it. My wife walked out to it smoking under the hood.
I haven't had anything like that with the Dodge and don't expect to.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 97 ram 4x4 has 247,000 on the original engine and tranny. I have had it since 37,000
miles. I didn't have to do anything other than routine maintenance up until about 130,000miles. All I have done since then is Cat, water pump, front wheel bearing, fuel pump, plenum, and radiator. The only time my truck ever left stranded was when the fuel pump went out. I have taken her all over the country including many trips from emphis to nashville with more than 8000lbs of steel on a 16ft flatbed trailer behind it and one trip with over 5000lbs in the bed of the truck. On that trip I swear I think I could have hit the gas and popped a wheely. I am just now starting to get a little rpm drift with the tranny but I would still trust her to get me from one coast to the other and not let me down. Ohh and to top everything off I got my truck when I was 16 and it has been through hell and highwater (litteraly half way up the doors) and has been ragged very hard through the last 5 years and she is still going strong. That is alot more than I can say for the 3 chevy's my cousin has owned.

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
I know there are rams out there with a ton of miles on them but there are even more rams out there with tranny problems, rear end problems, intake and exhaust problems, and interior problems like cracked dashes and other little bs things. I can understant regualr maintenence but dodge has alot of things they are weak in its drive train. Thats why im a big fan of bobbies bagged ram. She has a chevy 350 with a turbo 400 tranny and a for 9" rear end. She eliminated the problem.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.