DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put a 392 gen 3 in my old 76' Ramcharger. I want to keep it 4wd. I've heard about trans issues and that stinkin computer which doesn't hold up to hard core offroading. Can ya'll suggest a driveline that will stay intact ?

·
Red Trucker
2,096 Posts
FYI, a 392/6.4 is a Gen 4 hemi, as it is in the family with VVT and taller valves (eagle 5.7, 6.4 and Hellcat derivatives). Significantly different than the Gen 3's (pre-eagle 5.7 and 6.1).
Now, what "stinkin computer" :)ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) trans have you heard about that doesn't hold up? Car 392's have only had the Tremec 6sp, the NAG1 and the 8HP70, all of which are pretty stout trannies. Truck 6.4's are a very different animal and they get the 68RFE. Are you planning on a truck or car 6.4?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far no purchase has been made. Looking for guidance first. The Ram is all stock but the motor gave up the ghost after187k. But I like the truck and don't want to just trash it. The 392 was suggested because of the factory HP. I considered a rebuild of the 360, but old tech, is old tech. And I believe I can do better than 8.5 mpg averages. Looking to use brains more than dollars in the build. So there it is. Thnx

·
Red Trucker
2,096 Posts
Honestly, I'd get a 392 and hook it to an A518. Standalones for the new hemis are fairly easy (just pricey). The 518 is just an A727 with an overdrive, you'd just need a bellhousing adapter. It was a factory truck trans, so you know a transfer case will bolt to one no problem, plus it has provision for a slip yoke, which most of the newer ones do not have.
About 16 or so years ago Street & Performance Inc did a 5.7/auto swap from a 2003 Ram into a Ramcharger. They offered the parts they had to fab as buyable items, plus put together a guide about it. Only down side is you don't wanna hook a 392 to a 545RFE; it won't last long. If you're willing to settle for 100hp or so less, you could go that route (5.7 hemi still that much more powerful and efficient than the 360 you had).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts