DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Certified Mopar Maniac
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use a gearvendors unit in a B series van? Im researching it for both the van and my 77 pickup. I figure any way I can stretch the gas will make 35 gallons worth the fill up.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
I haven't done it however years ago I researched the idea and found that the transmission craddle mount would need to be modified clear it on my 78 van (pickups have clearance) and gas at less than 1$/gallon would take a lot of miles to break even, of coarse that has changed.
Also the drive shaft length might need to be changed also and the torque is less efficient at lower engine rpms. (More slippage.) It might serve best to get a [email protected] traveler torque converter made for towing that has a lower stall rpm (less slippage) along with lower axle gears. (Changing from 3.55 to 2.94 increased mpg's on my van by ~2 withe the odometer/speedo corrected by changing to the apropriate speedo gear.)

·
Certified Mopar Maniac
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I might just do a gear change. I know putting the van on a diet is out of the question. What about a later overdrive trans from behind a magnum engine? It shouldnt be hard to run one without a pcm.

·
5,828 Posts
The 46rh transmission can be used. The last model year was 96 on vans and 95 on trucks, latter models have the re transmission which has an electronic goverenor and needs the PCM.
Also on a van you need the cradle bracket as the transmission is larger and sor of the holes need to be welded and redrilled to match the crossmember. (At least they did on my 71.) Also the drive shaft must be shortered and the crossmember modified to clear the larger tailhousing on a van.

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts
Would a B2500 rear 3.92 axle be switched to a B1500 rear 3.55 axle without much trouble? Of course, my HD suspension has the 8-lugs wheels, but the regular suspension B2500 has the 5-lug wheels.

·
5,828 Posts
A change from 3.92 to 3.55 is only 10%. It can be done.
Changing the gears themselves require some special tools for bearing preload and backlash. Swapping the entire axle is easier for the laymen.
Either will require the speedo gear be changed to match if there is one, otherwise the speedo/odometer will be off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.