DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
OH-----IO
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the gears and LSD scheduled to go in next week, price is $600 labor. i Think this is a good price for 4x4. they say they will need it for two days so i will leave it on monday and pick up on friday. will let you know the results when i pick it up!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
That's a good price. 4.56 gears (front and rear) plus labor is going for $825 here in Ft Worth.

·
OH-----IO
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the gears, master kits, and new auburn lsd already bought, the $600 is just for labor

·
OH-----IO
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GEARS R IN!!!!!!!!!!!

Picked the truck up today, got two burn in cycles completed, needing one more before i can get on it a little more, but my initial reaction is it makes the truck feel much lighter and quicker off the line. My gear guy told me my original lsd was broken and rubbing against the "housing" not sure what that means but am so glad i got the auburn lsd to replace the crappy factory lsd. Gas mileage was a little more of a loss than i was expecting but i think that ma be due to the resseting of the PCM as well, before i was averaging 19-20 mpg on the high way and not really sure what it was in the city, on the first 15 mile burn in cycle I stayed in suburbs and aveaged 15.6mpg, the 2nd burn in ws all freeway and set the cruise at 70 rpm was at a little less than 2200 rpm and averaged 16.8 mpg. I can't wait to finish the breakin and maybe take it to the track next thursday, i only have one more week before the tracks close down up here in ohio.

·
Lifted HEMI 4x4
5,519 Posts
nice man....i want 4.56 gears as well in my 4x4...help to turn the 37's

i've been quoted around $1200 from several shops here

·
OH-----IO
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is the 1200 parts and labor? I got the gears and rebuild kits in the group buy for around $472 shipped, then the auburn was $387 shipped and the install ended up being $692, that included oil, the shop took the front axle out to do the install and they went ahead and replaced the housing seals for the front and tax so a grand total of $1551. not cheap but needed to help turn the bigger tires, i am thinking about going up to 35's on my next tire purchase, in another 2-3 years.

·
OH-----IO
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, finished the breakin, then did a 600 mile trip from columbus to memphis, averaged 73 mph @2250 rpm, i reset the computer halfway during the trip, before i reset the computer i was averaging 14.9mpg, after the reset i averaged 18.2. During the install the installer disconnected the battery so it took the computer a while to relearn all the mods, after it relearned i have lost about 1.5-2 mpg on the freeway. I will reset the mpg consoel at the end of the week when i go home and hopefully it will pick up a little more. if not i may need to go up to some 35's to get my mileage back into the 19-20 range

·
Hibernating
3,114 Posts
Congrats on getting the gears :rck: One thing has me puzzled....did you just say you may need to increase your tire size to increase your gas mileage :huh:

·
OH-----IO
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my thinking and i could be so off on this but this is how my little mind works is that by going to a taller tire 35" i will be adding about 2 1/4 inches in tire hieght, thereby increasing the amount of travel per a rotation, which should lower the rpms at 73 mph, now i realize the tires will weigh more, but the 4.56 should be able to handle the increase with minimal extra effort once it is already in motion. someone please correct me if i am wrong.

·
Hibernating
3,114 Posts
phantom345 said:
my thinking and i could be so off on this but this is how my little mind works is that by going to a taller tire 35" i will be adding about 2 1/4 inches in tire hieght, thereby increasing the amount of travel per a rotation, which should lower the rpms at 73 mph, now i realize the tires will weigh more, but the 4.56 should be able to handle the increase with minimal extra effort once it is already in motion. someone please correct me if i am wrong.
Well, it's all good in theory, but the gears don't help you any on the highway....just the takeoff. I don't know anyone who has gained mpg going to a taller tire. If you're happy with how it performs now, stick to it....going to taller tires will just decrease performance......unless it's a tweel...those seem rather efficient :D

·
OH-----IO
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dang it, you have the gears too, what's your rpms like with you 35's between 70-75? with a 285/75/17 i am at 2250 with the cruise set at 73.

·
Hibernating
3,114 Posts
If I'm correct in memory, I'm around 2000rpm at about 70mph. I'll know for sure tomorrow. I never really look at the RPMs much to be honest.

·
OH-----IO
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Slammed1, thanks, he said that it was rubbing the housing, but it didn''t do that much damage. so hopefully i will be safe!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.