DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On occasion, I pull a 24ft enclosed cargo trailer ( has a wedge nose on the front of the trailer ) around with my 02 Ram 1500, quad cab, 5.9L, 3.55 gears. Never more than about 50 to 100 miles or so on any one run.
Fuel Mileage is Eh. About 10. HOWEVER.... I am getting ready to embark on a 6000 mile, 120 day " work tour ". THIS is where my question is. Do I stick with the 3.55 and hope that fuel consumption will be ok, or, do I go to a lower gear, such as a 3.92 for better pulling? Will that decrease fuel consumption much? My thought is that since the vehicle will be better geared for pulling using 3.92, I should not see much, if any deterioration in fuel consumption, and less of a strain on things. Thoughts, oh great brain trust?

·
Registered
136 Posts
First is this going to be a new (every 6 months) thing or a one time thing? If one time, then no I wouldn't waste the money or time just for a one time thing. If Yes then it might be a good thing if you are not happy with how it works now.

You will most likely not see much change in Fuel consumption or at least not to the tune of a half mile better mileage and I doubt that but it would easy up the work load a bit. Problem is when you get done you either have to change the gears back or stay with a higher RPM when running with out the trailer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, 501Cummings. That is the big question which I do not have an answer for...will this be an ongoing thing. This was thrown at me and just don't know if this will be an ongoing thing. I am considering going to a 2500 for the long haul, just because I am concerned about the 1500 not being able to handle the long haul, although, I do have air bags under the rear to handle the extra weight. It is one of those quandries of " do I or don't I? "

1 - 3 of 3 Posts