DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Dodge Enthusiast
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing about how much a new set of gears will help out performance. I have a few questions...
How much does a set of gears cost?
What gears should I look at? (I don't take my truck to the track to race... I just want to be able to feel the power off the take-off (acceleration), but I want something that will not hurt the overall performance since it is my daily driver.
I'm in college and I want to be able to look over at these stock imports w/ exhaust tips and take 'em :rck:
Should I look at posi-track?
I appreciate any help I can get, and take into consideration I'm partially a noob ;)

·
CA RAM
38 Posts
I have been looking around for gears as well for my 02 Ram 1500. I have the 3.55 and would like to get some 4.10's. I've seen a wide range of costs from other guys who have either done the change or are also looking at it. I asked my Dodge guy and he said $1400. That of course is at the Dealer and probably at the high end. I seen other guys at 600 to 900 bucks. So, it is really hard to say. The best thing to do is find out what you really want then call around and get some prices. If you find anything good let me know. I'll do the same.

·
Dodge Enthusiast
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what I want... I was hoping someone could tell me what ratio would be good from the specs that I gave...

I'll let u know if I find something..

·
CA RAM
38 Posts
Depending on what you have now you probably do not need new gears unless you tow a lot or are going to get bigger tires.

·
Dodge Enthusiast
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have whatever is stock on my truck (honestly dunno what it is) and I don't tow...

·
Registered
28 Posts
wolfemml said:
Depending on what you have now you probably do not need new gears unless you tow a lot or are going to get bigger tires.
This is true. With sports cars that you race & try to get quicker times on the track, higher gears will help. The drawback is that you'll hit your rpms quicker & will be over reving your engine at highway speeds...your rpms will be a lot higher than you want them to be driving on the highway. For most of us, who have trucks, you want taller gears when you get bigger tires to compensate for the engine turning more tire withing the same engine rotation. There are Mods you can get to beat those ricers such as Super chargers ,etc., but again you have a truck...especially a 6000 lb truck compared to the ricers that are only about 2500-4000+ Lbs.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
I had the 3.55s (stock) in my 98 1500

switched to 4.10s and installed the Dana TrakLoc (posi)

I went with "Geniune Gears" (brand name)

you can expect to pay about $210 bucks for the gears

a "master" installation kit is about $100 bucks - but that included everything you will need to install it (Pinion Bearings, Carrier Bearings, Pinion Nut, Pinion Seal, Pinion Shims, Carrier Shims, Crush Sleeve(if required), Ring Gear Bolts, Gasket and Marking Compound)

you can get a TrakLoc for about $160 bucks

then you will need to pay someone for an installation if you have never done a swap like this

but you can tell a diff ;)

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
kringo.. Yeah it depends on what you have in now.. I had a sticker on my axle that tells me what gears came stock.. You would probably have 3.55 gears, possibly 3.92.

If you switch to higher gears you will get quicker acceleration off the start, but you will be running at higher RPM's at higher speed.. aka worst highway gas milage.. I was told to leave mine alone.. I have 3.92 gear with 33" tires.. Which actually acts like it has smaller gears.. if you are running 3.55 gears you could go to 4.10 3.92 you probably would not notice much of a difference from what i heard.. But anything higher i wouldnt recommend withough larger tires..

·
Wreck Em Tech
509 Posts
Is there a big difference between the 3.92's and 3.55's? I have quite a few mods on my truck and still am not getting the good eight mile times I would like. I currently have 3.55's and an open diff. I think it's what is hurting my times.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just want to make a quick point, numerically higher numbers (4.10's, 4.56's) are lower gears, where numerically smaller numbers like 3.55's are taller...

Going to bigger tires, means switching to lower gears (like 4.56's) to keep performance more like what it was stock.

Mike

·
Registered
205 Posts
It should say on the sticker under your hood what gears you have.

·
Registered
27,633 Posts
I went to 4.10 rear gears from my stock 3.55 with sure grip and it was a big performance boost. My highway gas mileage stayed real good -17 mpg - but I also had a lot of other mods done as well.

Then I changed the stock intake manifold to the MOPAR M1 2 bbl intake and my gas mileage went way down - 12 mpg, but the performance went way up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i have taken out some rice burners before and i only have the 3.55 gears with the quad cab, and the only mods i have done to my truck have been a flowmaster 40 series muffler, a K&N high flow air filter, and a tb spacer. other cars i have taken out have been a lil mercedes benz, F-150 and the other day i just finished taking out a silverado and an 80 something camaro. im looking to go with the 4.10 gears but thats just money that i dont have since im still in high school and with no job, but i cant wait to get those gears. but for now i might just get the fastman tb.

2001 5.2liter quad cab ram

·
Registered
181 Posts
this is to the guys with the 4.10 gears as well as the 3.92 that dont have the big tires whats ur gas mileage on the freeway?

·
Registered
50 Posts
RAM MAN said:
I had the 3.55s (stock) in my 98 1500

switched to 4.10s and installed the Dana TrakLoc (posi)

I went with "Geniune Gears" (brand name)

you can expect to pay about $210 bucks for the gears

a "master" installation kit is about $100 bucks - but that included everything you will need to install it (Pinion Bearings, Carrier Bearings, Pinion Nut, Pinion Seal, Pinion Shims, Carrier Shims, Crush Sleeve(if required), Ring Gear Bolts, Gasket and Marking Compound)

you can get a TrakLoc for about $160 bucks
I saw 4wheelparts.com carries Genuine Gears. I was wondering if you could list the part numbers for the parts you got for your application. I'd really like to get that posi rear. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.