DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got my pickup back today after having the gears changed from stock 3.55 to 4.11. I went with Yukon gears, and an Auburn limited slip in the rear. The front is the new Yukon thick gear, which doesn't require a new carrier.

Definetly a noticable boost in ability to accelerate, though I think I need to take it to a dealer to have the PCM adjusted for shiftpoints (now that the rpm's are higher, feels like it is shifting at the wrong time). Wish I had a tac so I could say for sure just how much the rpm's have changed, but it sounds noticable (there goes my gas mileage :(). I am able to drive in overdrive now and actually accelerate without it downshifting right away. Before, it would lug down easily and would shift out of overdrive.

One noticable downside that I will be keeping a very close eye on. My transmission seems to be running about 10-15 degrees hotter then it was before. Used to average about 165 deg, but would go as high as 180. Today, it averaged 180, and got to 195 as the high. Guess this is due to the rpm increase. Tomorrow, I will test it out on my usual drive to work. That should be the best test of how much things have changed. May need to install a bigger transmission cooler.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Where did you get the gears from?

I have to do the same thing.

and you dont have to get a new carrier for the D44....

Do you got the part numbers for the gears?

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
Hey congrats on the new gears! I would like to do the same thing, I am not crazy about the 3:55's. What was involved in the swap? Did you do it yourself? What kind of costs are involved? Was the front any different than the rear? And if you do like it, where did you get them from? I may call for the same parts! Thanks for any info!!

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
yea same here, where'd you get the gears and LSD, the gears in my truck are the next thing im going to tackle, but im thinking of going to maybe a 3.92 gear a 4.11 seems a lil too steep for the driving i do

·
Registered
140 Posts
Randy's Ring and Pinion can supply those parts. No webpage, but their phone number is 866-631-0146. They have shipping locations on the east and west coasts. The shop that did the same procedure on my truck acquired the parts from Randy's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think you'll be pretty happy with those new gears. The change makes a world of difference. I'd like to know how you like that LSD after you've gotten a few miles on it. I couldn't afford one when I got my gears, but I want to get one now.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
calltrex said:
Where did you get the gears from?
I got my work done at Avenger 4x4 here in Colorado Springs, but they got the gears from Randy's as mentioned by someone else.

I have to do the same thing.
and you dont have to get a new carrier for the D44....
I think if you just ask for a thick gear for the d44 in the front, you will get the one that doesn't require a new carrier.

Do you got the part numbers for the gears?
No but I can try to find out from Avenger.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pressurevac said:
Hey congrats on the new gears! I would like to do the same thing, I am not crazy about the 3:55's. What was involved in the swap? Did you do it yourself?
No, I took it to a local 4x4 shop to have it done. They are really good.

What kind of costs are involved?
It will run you between $1200-$1800, depending on if you go with a locker or limited slip like I did.

Was the front any different than the rear?
Yes, the front is the thick gear for the Dana 44. The rear is a Chrysler 9.25, so it took different parts then the front D44. Plus I added the Auburn LSD in the rear too.

And if you do like it, where did you get them from? I may call for the same parts! Thanks for any info!!
Parts came from Randy's ring and pinion, but the work was done by Avenger 4x4 in Colorado Springs.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hot2k1ram said:
yea same here, where'd you get the gears and LSD, the gears in my truck are the next thing im going to tackle, but im thinking of going to maybe a 3.92 gear a 4.11 seems a lil too steep for the driving i do
Ya, I am kinda wondering if I shouldn't have gone with 3.92 instead, but I think I need to wait and see how things are once I get the larger tires put on. I still have the 265/75/16, which is a 31.6 diameter tire. I will be changing to something around 33" soon. Hopefully, that will make the RPM's not feel as high.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SAKman said:
I think you'll be pretty happy with those new gears. The change makes a world of difference. I'd like to know how you like that LSD after you've gotten a few miles on it. I couldn't afford one when I got my gears, but I want to get one now.
I don't think I could afford it either, but I figured that later on, I would really wish I had done it. So, I sucked it up and did it now. Glad I did. Need to try it out in some mud or sand after the break-in period.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Silver_DodgeRam said:
Tomorrow, I will test it out on my usual drive to work. That should be the best test of how much things have changed. May need to install a bigger transmission cooler.
So, on my drive to work, I definetly noticed a difference. I was able to stay in overdrive over most of the hills that used to cause the transmission to shift out of overdrive. Now, when I am driving 65 in overdrive, it feels like what it used to feel like if I would drive 65 with the overdrive off. That is more of an RPM difference then I expected. However, I am still running my 265/75/16 which is a 31.6 diameter tire. The reason I did the gears was to be able to run a larger tire without bogging the engine. I am thinking that having bigger tires (going to be running around a 33" tire) will make it feel better, and not quite rev so high at highway speeds. Is that true, or are these the rpm's I will be at from now on? If so, could the dealer adjust the shift points or some other PCM setting to help compensate?

Otherwise, loving the gears so far. Probably be a different tune when I go in for a fillup.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gased up for the first time last night since getting my gears done. I have been driving a good mix of city and highway. My MPG was 13.53. So, I definetly lost some, but not as bad as I thought I would considering that I am still running a tire that is too small for these gears. Also, I know I could have driven it easier. It was hard to resist getting on the gas with the way these gears help my acceleration.

I'll let you know how things go when I go a full tank driving conservativly (if I can resist the temptation to mash it).

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
i don't think you lost the mpg you are thinking. changing gears will alter the speedometer some. there are some math programs on the internet that will figure out the actual speed you are going with the change in gears as well as tires.

also, when you go to those 285's, it'll lower the rpm's on the engine and you'll tranny will appreciate that.

believe me, it wouldn't have been worth going to 3.9's from what you had prior.

mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gears will not effect your speedometer, but tires do. The speedo works off a sensor on the rear differential. The computer senses how fast the diff is turning and uses the number of revolutions per mile programmed in the computer to calculate speed.

My 98 and 2001 axles both use the same sensor, but not sure when that started and if the new trucks are still using it.

When you switch tire sizes, you'll have to reset the new tire size in the computer to correct your speedo. It cost me $20 at the Dodge dealer. When they hook-up their computer tool it'll give them factory available tire size options for your truck. If you get a tire size that wasn't a factory option (I have 33's which weren't available on the Dakota) they may try to tell you they can't do it. Don't buy that from them. Tell them to call the Mopar tech line to tell them how to find the other option.

If your tire wasn't a stock option, you'll need to measure how far your tire travels in one revolution, then convert that to revolutions per mile, which can be entered into the computer. Your speedo is them back where it should be.

Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to save anybody unaware of this some hassle. It's a cheap fix, and there's no reason to spend lots of money on your own programmer, or one of those aftermarket "black boxes" to correct for tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With my gear ratio program with 31" tires and 4.11 should be approx 2896rpm.With 33" and 4.11 it should be approx 2720rpm.This is at 65mph but with overdrive it will be approx 15% to 30% lower.Also with your stock tires 31" with 3.55 it was approx 2500rpm.My program says that you are in (a daily driver Best overall performance)catagory with both tire sizes with the 4.11s.Hope this helps :drivingz:

·
Registered
17 Posts
With my gear ratio program with 31" tires and 4.11 should be approx 2896rpm.With 33" and 4.11 it should be approx 2720rpm.This is at 65mph but with overdrive it will be approx 15% to 30% lower.Also with your stock tires 31" with 3.55 it was approx 2500rpm.My program says that you are in (a daily driver Best overall performance)catagory with both tire sizes with the 4.11s.Hope this helps :drivingz:

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya, I did some online gear calculators that confirmed what you said. Once I get a larger tire on, I should be back into the recommended RPM range for a daily driver.

All I know is, I have plenty of power now. I love it. I did take it to the dealer to see if there was any PCM setting they could adjust for gear changes (like a pinion setting or something). There was none. They did adjust for my tire size since the PCM was still showing stock tire size. When I switch to a larger tire size (33" or so), I will just adjust it myself with my hypertech.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.