DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 01 1500 4x4 with the stock gears in it currently. I picked up a set of 4.56s a few months ago and have been sitting on them because I can't afford to have a shop do it and have never done it myself, and are a little apprehensive about what might happen if I install them on my daily driver.

My question is what is the worst case scenario if I install them myself and, even though I have tons of do-it-yourself guides and a video(I DVRed an eXtreme 4x4 epsisode), install them completely wrong. How many parts could I potentially mess up?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Every thing inside the rear end.

·
Chrysler faithful
1,141 Posts
The hardest thing is the special tools you need. Do you have a case spreader? Seal inserters? Dial indicators? You can eyeball the install and then paint the ring gear to see if the tooth engagement is correct, but each time you will have to drive it and recheck. This can get tedious with having to drain and refill the pumpkin every time and redo the cover seal. Done wrong, you can damage everything inside the pumpkin and even have a broken piece of ring gear lock up your axle and cause a dangerous skid. Axles are really best left to those who know what they're doing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.