DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been thinking about gears a lot lately. I would love to improve my gas mileage, so that is really the only reason I would be getting them, as I don't race or anything. But, I don't drive 60-70 on the highway. I stay at around 80-90 if I am on a trip. Nick, I know you and I have talked about this in the past, but I didn't mention my speed. I saw on a previous thread where people say their gas mileage improves, but they were only doing like 60-70 mph. If I did change gears, would my gas mileage improve even going at these speeds? If so, should I go to 4:56 or 4:10? I don't care about performance, this would only be as a fuel saver. (Yes, I know I bought a truck, not a Honda, I didn't want a car, I use this as a truck. I didn't buy it for gas mileage, I would just like to get what I can out of it, so I don't want to hear the remarks like "you bought a 5000lb truck, not a car", or, "its not supposed to get good gas mileage", etc, etc....) It's a V6, 5spd. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
What size tires do you have on your truck now? Its difficult to say. How tall are your tires.... My BEST fuel economey is at 60-65MPH but I get good fuel economey at 70-75MPH and its not that bad at 80MPH... and Im on very short tires... At 80MPH im getting 14-15MPG.

Where as at 60-65MPH Im getting 20+... With a taller tire ALL this would shift up.

A person with a 545RFE will see better results than I do. So with the SAME combo I have with the ONLY difference being the transmission. my 45RFE will get [email protected] and a 545RFE will get [email protected]

Add taller tires to that 545RFE and then your looking at [email protected] This is FUZY math but its a good example of how the mechanical advantage plays at speed... Its not EXACT at all but its enough to give you a good idea.

But if you drive 80MPH all the time then the 4.10's would be best for you with a 32" tall tire... If you have 35" tall tires or plan on them the 4.56's are what you should be looking at.

Also dont forget you fuel economey is NOT all based on Highway.... with a 4.56 you will see approximatly 2-3MPG increase in the city alone... so if you do more city than highway it will make up for the 80MPH blast you do and your overalll fuel economey will improve.....

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nick. I do about 80/20 city/highway. I have 265/70 17 tires. I would like to get a little bit bigger, but not sure when, or how big, def. no larger than 35's though, but it could only be to 33's. In the city, I TRY to do the speed limit. I have gotten a lot better. The road I travel are usually about 45-55 mph in the city. Also, what is a good install price for gears, and would I need the install kit? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
....oh, and why don't you have pics of your truck in the gallery? I want to see what that ride looks like man :D ...or is it, so when you come up to someone, they won't be expecting you? lol :rck:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.