DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a lease on an 05 Ram quad cab with hemi.
I am looking at either getting a challenger or another truck
When i bought my truck it has the 20" wheels which came with
the 3:92 gears. I have driven one of the new sport trucks with the
hemi and didnt look at the sticker because i thought it came with the
3:92 since it had the 20" wheels, i have learned that on the 09 it is an
option that has to be selected. The one i drove had plenty of power
and felt just as strong as my current truck if not stronger. I looked up the
truck online and didnt see the 3:92 option on the window sticker so i assume
it had the 3:55. My question is am i really going to notice the difference in
the 3:55 and the 3:92? What is the benefit of the 3:92?
I do not go to the track and race my truck nor do i street race but i do like
the power and get on it on occasion not to mention i like to hear the magnaflo
exhaust. I dont tow very much, in the 4+ years i have had the truck i have only towed maybe 4 or 5 times and nothing very big. All i haul in the bed would be your normal trip to the home improvement store or to help a buddy move etc... so would i really benefit from the 3:92 or do i not really need it
for the way i use my truck. Thanks for your help

·
Once and future owner
3,061 Posts
I'd get 3.92's. Less strain on your drivetrain and not to mention your turning 33's and I don't think 3.55's cut it with those tires. If the trucks had an optional 4.10 gear than that would be a great all around street/highway gear especially with our big heavy trucks. I went from 3.92's to 4.56's in my previous 04 Ram and it was a night and day difference and I gained 3/10's at the 1/4-mile track as well. The truck was definately peppier and seemed to move with ease without having to put your foot into the gas. I think you'll like the 3.92's. Good luck.

·
Woosah!!!
421 Posts
My 2007 Quad Cab 4x4 had 3.92s and so does my 2003 Standard Cab 4x2. My 2009 Crew Cab 4x4 has 3.55s and it has more power than the 2007 and as much or more than the 2003. I was worried about the same thing you are but I think they got it right with what they are putting in each truck. From what I have seen the 4x2 trucks get 3.21 and the 4x4 trucks get 3.55 with the 3.92 being special order. You may feel more power with the 3.92 but unless you are planing to take it to the track it is just going to cost you more in gas.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My 2007 Quad Cab 4x4 had 3.92s and so does my 2003 Standard Cab 4x2. My 2009 Crew Cab 4x4 has 3.55s and it has more power than the 2007 and as much or more than the 2003. I was worried about the same thing you are but I think they got it right with what they are putting in each truck. From what I have seen the 4x2 trucks get 3.21 and the 4x4 trucks get 3.55 with the 3.92 being special order. You may feel more power with the 3.92 but unless you are planing to take it to the track it is just going to cost you more in gas.
I agree with what he said. If your not using your truck for racing, dragging, towing, hauling, and your not going to put 35 inch tires on there. Man your gears will be fine and they will get you the best mileage. The gears won' affect the sound of your exhaust at all. My truck was fine when I had 3.92 in there but I move every 3-6 months for work and with my wheels and added weight of the topper it was useless on hills. Very frustrating. But for your application I think you will be more than happy with the 3.55

BTW Jackal I love your avatar. Where did you find that one?

·
Registered
86 Posts
If You Have The Same Hormonal Problem That I Have,,an Absolute Need To Just Break Em Loose And Burn Em You Will Very Much Miss The 3.92's,,,,,,,,
355 Will Bark,,,,,,,,392 Will Burn

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont lite em up very often however i did a few times when right before i got rid of the crappy wrangler tires that came on it.....its nice to know it will burn em off if i ever
choose too. I guess when the time comes for the new one i will have to see what is
available but not let the gears be a deal breaker but get them if i can find them on a truck i like. Has anyone gotten the sunburst orange yet? there is a dealer here with a couple of them and they look very nice. Sport crew cabs

·
Registered
837 Posts
Has anyone gotten the sunburst orange yet?

There is already a club on here for that color I am pretty sure. I do believe one of the ladies on here started it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I read all the posts saying you HAD to have 3.92's so I went out and drove both. I drove 2wd 2009 Ram crew cabs with the 3.21's and the 3.92's. Both had plenty of power but for a truck that I'm going to drive mostly on the freeway it makes no sense to go with 3.92's. Sure they are faster off the line and tow more, but the 3.21's or 3.55's will be plenty fast enough for me.

The 3.21's turn 1,600 RPM's at 70 mph while the 3.92's turn 1,900 at 70 mph. I didn't drive a truck with the 3.55's but they should be somewhere around 1,744 at the same speed. For what it's worth I just ordered my truck and I choose the 3.55.s Seemed like a good compromise. My current 2000 Dodge Dakota turns 2,100 RPM's at 70 mph so I'll for sure be improving on that with the new truck.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
Without towing that much I would go with the 3.55. You should be happy, when I test drove an 09 with 3.55 it was everybit as stout as my 08 with 3.92s.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
126 Posts
I dont lite em up very often however i did a few times when right before i got rid of the crappy wrangler tires that came on it.....its nice to know it will burn em off if i ever
choose too. I guess when the time comes for the new one i will have to see what is
available but not let the gears be a deal breaker but get them if i can find them on a truck i like. Has anyone gotten the sunburst orange yet? there is a dealer here with a couple of them and they look very nice. Sport crew cabs

jvcougar has the sunburst orange on an 09 and It,s sweet, check out his gallery
:tup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
The crew 4x2 comes with 3.21 gears as standard. 3.55's are a $50 option on the 4x2 but come as standard on the 4x4. The 3.92's are a $375 option on both 4x2 and 4x4 but also include anti-spin.

Check your window sticker. It will show what you have.

Doug

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.