DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about changing to synthetic gear oil, what is best and what is wt. and specs.for front and back. Do you need special lube or friction modifier.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
75W-90 for the front and 75W-140 for the rear. This is assuming you have a 1/2 ton. Friction modifier is required for the rear if you have LSD. I use Amsoil Severe Gear oil in mine with a bottle of Mopar friction modifier.

·
Registered
457 Posts
75W-90 for the front and 75W-140 for the rear. This is assuming you have a 1/2 ton. Friction modifier is required for the rear if you have LSD. I use Amsoil Severe Gear oil in mine with a bottle of Mopar friction modifier.
+1, except I went with Amsoil's Slip-Lock Differential Additive. I ordered it all together.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Most premium aftermarket synthetics like Royal Purple MaxGear already have friction modifier in it. There is generally no need to add any even in LSD's. You can certainly but it is not always needed.

RP MaxGear is the brand I reccomend. Use the correct weight for your vehicle. Look in your owner's manual and it will tell you which weight(s) to use. If you are unsure which setup you have drop by the dealer and they will tell you.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Well, he doesn't specify what year, but I imagine they're all similar. My shop manual says 75w-140 synthetic (for the rear diff).

·
i love my 505" footprint
583 Posts
Most premium aftermarket synthetics like Royal Purple MaxGear already have friction modifier in it. There is generally no need to add any even in LSD's. You can certainly but it is not always needed.

RP MaxGear is the brand I reccomend. Use the correct weight for your vehicle. Look in your owner's manual and it will tell you which weight(s) to use. If you are unsure which setup you have drop by the dealer and they will tell you.
are you on rp's payroll, or are you just the purple oil superfan?

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
are you on rp's payroll, or are you just the purple oil superfan?
Not affiliated with RP in any way shape or form and I resent the implication that I am pimping a product for pay. Am I not allowed an opinion on what products I like? Do I need your permission or something before I post?

·
i love my 505" footprint
583 Posts
Not affiliated with RP in any way shape or form and I resent the implication that I am pimping a product for pay. Am I not allowed an opinion on what products I like? Do I need your permission or something before I post?
just a observation that you are REALLY REALLY into the purple oil - chill out superfan...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
just a observation that you are REALLY REALLY into the purple oil - chill out superfan...
Did you even read the OP's post or did you just open threads and look for someone to go after and start a fight with the way you do with the other member that sells Amsoil?

The OP specifically asked what brand we would reccomend...

"thinking about changing to synthetic gear oil, what is best and what is wt. and specs.for front and back. Do you need special lube or friction modifier."

There is NO call to be insulting the way you always are. If anyone needs to chill out around here it is you. Frankly you should be booted from here for attacking people all the time. You contribute very little if any useful info. All you do is go after people.

Yes, I reccomend RP when the subject of oil and fluids come up. SO WHAT! Everyone has their favorite brands. It is not a crime.

·
i love my 505" footprint
583 Posts
Did you even read the OP's post or did you just open threads and look for someone to go after and start a fight with the way you do with the other member that sells Amsoil?

The OP specifically asked what brand we would reccomend...

"thinking about changing to synthetic gear oil, what is best and what is wt. and specs.for front and back. Do you need special lube or friction modifier."

There is NO call to be insulting the way you always are. If anyone needs to chill out around here it is you. Frankly you should be booted from here for attacking people all the time. You contribute very little if any useful info. All you do is go after people.

Yes, I reccomend RP when the subject of oil and fluids come up. SO WHAT! Everyone has their favorite brands. It is not a crime.
:rolleyes: i asked if you were affiliated or just really into their products. the bill swerski pic was some light hearted humor - if you take it as an insult, you really need to either grow some thicker skin or a set...

never realized synthetic oil has such a panty bunching effect. ill stop posting in the oil threads, hopefully kleenex wont notice the drop in business...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.