DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Brad
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard that your supposed to change gear oil every 15k, true or false? also, what kind of oil is best? how much does a gear oil change cost anyway?

i dunno if they guys who swapped my gears changed my gear oil or not, if they havent, then i am at 24k miles without a gear oil change

·
Registered
587 Posts
I believe Dodge uses synthetic in the diff's. I just had front/rear changed on my 4x4 Durango. They charged $65 each. My owners manual states to change it every 15K. I'm on the belief that if you tow etc. then change it sooner.

·
Sleeper in The Making
1,696 Posts
More then likely they changed your gear oil; and yes the recommended interval for scehdule B is 15K miles. Everybody has opions on what's best so use your best judgment on that, personally I'm favorable toward Valvoline Synpower and royal purple in the gears, that's my opinion though. As for cost I changed mine myself and it took about $30.00 for RTV, and 2 quarts of oil. Remember fill only till the fluid is about 1/4 of an inch away from the fill hole, not till it runs out of it !

·
Blue Dodge Ram
317 Posts
I changed mine little after buying my truck (20K) and used AMSoil severe gear. Now I don't have to worry about changing gear oil for another 50K.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
amsoil here as well...gives me good mileage...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Your manual gives the specific change intervals depending on how you drive. My manual says the "B" schedule is every 15K (as stated above) and means cold weather driving, towing, mostly stop and go, etc. "A" schedule (light driving, freeway) says never bother changing it. Once again, go by your manual. If you need the LSD additive ensure you get that as well. I used Mobil 1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.