DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive scoured this site pretty thoroughly and havent found a dedicated thread on how to install gears. One of they guys on here recommended randy ring and pinion book. Anyone know if theres a good guide out there somewhere?? This site...other sites?? Ive found plenty of parts lists adn think I have that pretty much worked out.

I believe im perfectly capable of doing it, from what I hear its not even that hard, just time consuming and you have to be precise on your measurments. Im a mechanical engineer so I dont think (hope) its beyone me but, obviously, experience wins.. and I dont know what tools I need.

·
Registered
493 Posts
things u might not have lying around:

socket for pinion nut
punch or side adjusters for the carrier
dial indicator
might need a micrometer/caliper for shims
ft/lb torque wrench capable of about **250 ft/lb** (air hammer for taking it off)
in/lb torque wrench (like 50 or 100 in/lb) dial type best. measures pinion preload.
plastigauge
shop press
axle bearing/seal pullers

there's a bar that goes across the carrier, used to measure pinion depth if u dont trust ur shimming on the pinion... but checking the gear pattern you can see if the gear footprint is fairly centered on the ring teeth

sure im forgetting some, anyone chime in

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shop press! I dont have a press of any kind yet.. but I can take it on base and use the press there. Other than that I have everything except the micrometer and the bearing pullers... the most important tools looks like..

·
Registered
493 Posts
or do the outer pinion race yourself (hammer and race driver) then take the carrier and pinion to a shop and have them do the bearings for you

·
I WISH I WAS GREEN
3,273 Posts
Check out last months Diesel Power mag. They had a good write up and list of everything you should need.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Funny the last mechanical engineer I dealt with couldn't read a tape measure. "We measured it twice so we don't know why it doesn't fit on the freight elevator."
Sorry couldn't help making a little fun. If you have access to a press that helps. The torque wrenches, dial indicator and micrometers are a must. It does take some time even if you have done it before.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, rest assured im not one of those! But I do know the type... Ill have to see if I can find the article reddot is talking about. Thanks for the help. No decision yet if im going to do it myself or not...

·
Registered
493 Posts
if that article was in a diesel mag, chances are they rebuilt a dana, not a 9 1/4" chrysler rear axle. tool requirement is a bit different. like the dana might need a carrier stretcher to put the carrier back in, but the 9 1/4" wont.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some of this stuff Ive never even heard of.. whats a carrier stretcher?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Some axles when you remove the diff the axle basically bends and needs to be pushed back into shape to get the diff back in the axle. I think an plain ol chilton or haynes manual might tell you what you need and the steps it is going to take.

·
Registered
493 Posts
diff case spreader... forgot the name.. found a pic:

http://quad4x4.com/4x4 Tools.htm#AXLE

that QT1032 2/3rds of the way down the page - would use on a dana but this tool is not used on the 9 1/4"

vehicle specific chilton/haynes manuals will not have full instructions on a diff rebuild. As far as books i have the book by Randy ('s Ring and Pinion) and also a chilton/haynes specifically for diff repair. youtube/google videos are out there if you look

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bearing puller?? Do I need to change the bearings too? Somebody said I wouldnt have to... Do the install kits usualy come with bearings?

·
Registered
493 Posts
unless you plan on putting the new pinion gear in without an inner bearing on it, the answer is yes.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does that come in the install kit?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would think the kits would have new bearings in them. Better double check before you start working on the truck. Since you are working in the axle just might as well change the bearings out. If the truck was newer like an 07 or up you could probably slide with the original bearings.

·
I WISH I WAS GREEN
3,273 Posts
if that article was in a diesel mag, chances are they rebuilt a dana, not a 9 1/4" chrysler rear axle. tool requirement is a bit different. like the dana might need a carrier stretcher to put the carrier back in, but the 9 1/4" wont.
Id have to find the issue to be sure but I think it was an older ford axel. It was a good outline on what has to be done and they told you what manuals to get and what not. Its not a very axel specific guide, more general.

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Maximus1000: if you do do this install yourself, can you PLEASE do a writeup with pics? There was another member that started one, and then fell off the face of the planet before finishing.

You would probably help a lot of people if you did a pic writeup.

Just sayin. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds good, Ill definitely be documenting this so you can look forward to some pics and info. I just bought my Yukon 4.56s yesterday!! Got the gears, plus the kits for $575. Thats probably not the best price I could have gotten but it was free shipping/handling and they drop shipped them yesterday right away. So it all evens out in the end. :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
there is a thread here maybe 1-3 years old about a guy who did his bearings and didn't have all the fancy tools, I remember mention of how hard it was to get the pinion nut off. Search for it, there's a couple threads like that here. wonder how that rear axle has held up

i'd actually say definitely take the chunk and pinion to a machine shop do your bearings and you do the races and stuff in the rear axle yourself so you don't have to remove it.

once you buy a shop press realize they take up garage space and arent used that often.

instead of a press, i could have spent that money and bought a cheap flux welder and just used scrap iron (like discarded bed rails) to make custom frames for a bottle jack to make presses for various uses (to hold a pinion to press on/off bearings, etc) and have a useful toy to boot (the welder which I'd use more than a shop press and can throw it up on a shelf out of the way)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.