DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have decided to go with the Gaylord X2000 Tonneau for my truck. So I went and did some checking, more checking, some calling, and a bit more calling. I just got off the phone with J. Brockman at AutoAnything and he said they would like to move some of these tonneaus out in the next couple of weeks. The good news is that as little as 5 units will get us a discounted price. He was ready to drop almost all of the shipping costs to send me 1 unit to the Baltimore/Washington DC area. I think we may do even better if we can get 5 units. Anyone interested?

·
Registered
525 Posts
It would have to be a significant discount, like half-price. I just priced one on their site and it came to $1,265 + $180 shipping, that's pretty steep. No wonder he has excess inventory.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Better Price?

I have researched a number of fiberglass tonneaus and polled a number of DT members. It seems to me that the Gaylord X2000 is well built, is painted to match, and has the best hardware. Just to put it into perspective, the Dodge OEM fiberglass top, which I think is not as good, was only going to save me about $125 after you add in the bed rug head liner, some sort of light, and paint. If the issue is just price... Is there a cheeper place you know of? I am at a severe disadvantage because of my location. I am hoping there may be others like me that can help drive down the price through the group buy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prices?

OK... Here is what I was able to do for just 1. It is the X2000 for a 6'-3" 2004 Ram, painted to match, shipped $1175 to my door. That works out to about $36 for shipping rather than $180. That is not a huge discount, but it is for 1 unit. He seemed interested in making a better deal if I had 5 people interested. Understand that he does not want to give me any other numbers until he knows there is real interest. I never initiated a group buy before, but have benefited from them. Just seeing if I can help out my brethren (and save some $ in the process too :rck: ).

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm probably going to get a Checkmate FX, its only about $360 but you have to paint it to match. I figure that will run about $100 at a body shop. It also only weighs 35 lbs. and sits even with the bed rails. You have to order the carpet kit separately, which will add about $150.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I know...

I also looked at the Checkmate FX, but I decided the look I want is to cover the bed rails since I have a LineX over-the-rail liner. The Gaylord will actually cover that leaving me with a more finished look. No other cover (that I looked at) gave me that look. The X2000 also gives me keyless entry (on all new models), a wired 12v under-lid light (not battery), the bed rug head liner, and the gas struts are connected to the hinge (leaving side access much easier - as well as removal easier since the top comes off with the hinges and shocks attached). If I add in shipping to my location, a bed rug head liner, and an under cover light, (and still no keyless entry) the price is around $800 to $850. Maybe my choice would be different now if my earlier choices were different.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
TexasAxMan said:
I'm probably going to get a Checkmate FX, its only about $360 but you have to paint it to match. I figure that will run about $100 at a body shop. It also only weighs 35 lbs. and sits even with the bed rails. You have to order the carpet kit separately, which will add about $150.
With bed rug and shipping and quick release hinges mine cost $500

It cost me $575 to get it painted
They had to shoot two coats of primer--sand it down --shoot body color--fill pin holes that resulted --sand again --shoot body color--shoot gloss coat

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Final Cost?

So uncbob, is that $1075 when all said and done?

·
Registered
525 Posts
uncbob said:
It cost me $575 to get it painted
They had to shoot two coats of primer--sand it down --shoot body color--fill pin holes that resulted --sand again --shoot body color--shoot gloss coat
Man that seems really high for painting. Was the surface really bad when you got it or is that just what to expect?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Be careful with autoanything. When I was researching buying mine from them the price did not include the no drill mounting hardware, which in my opinion is what made an X2000 an X2000.

If you guys jump on this, INSPECT YOUR LID BEFORE YOU SIGN FOR IT!!!! Once you sign for it, it is yours!!!! If it's cracked, scratched, or damaged in any way, and you sign for it, you are then the proud owner of a cracked, scratched and damaged lid!!! I did a group buy on these about a year ago and out of the 15~ ordered, about 5 of them showed up damaged do to Fed-Ex getting crazy with the forklifts.

BTW: Let me know what the best deal is that they'll give you. I can't make any promises, but I might be able to work some sort of deal out.

·
:D Hello!!!
3,401 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
TexasAxMan said:
Man that seems really high for painting. Was the surface really bad when you got it or is that just what to expect?
It was a non smooth Gel Coat that takes a lot of prep if you want the smooth fiberglass look

Problem was after the first coat of body color a lot of pin holes showed up taht had to be filled and repainted

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still Researching...

As usual, I keep researching and find different deals everywhere. At the present I have found another dealer that can offer the X2000 at 1054.95. He tells me that the newer models include the remote keyless entry and a wired 12v under-cover light, which some dealers are trying to pass off as an option. The older models offered a battery light and the remote keyless entry WAS an option. The downside is that the FedEx shipping is around $170, which is paid at the time of delivery to FedEx.

EZ4U2CHere, can you send me a PM so we can chat about what you may be able to do. I feel stranded since I am on the east coast and there are very few places that have any covers in stock.

·
Hemi Power
2,017 Posts
Just wanted to say, I was at Gaylord's factory today, getting my lid fixed...Met the owner (Bill Gaylord), a super nice guy...It's too bad the dealer ignored my concerns, but Gaylord's fixed me up...Can't recommend them enough

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.