DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of ya'll who installed your own gauges, where did you get your switched +12V and switched instrument lighting? The gauges are supposed to come on when the truck is on, and the gauge backlighting on whenever headlights are turned on.

I'm afraid of hacking into the factory wiring.

I've got the dealer manual, but I couldn't find anything to help me out. Dug through it for an hour.

Can you guys give me your suggestions? Perhaps even point me to the right page number in the manual?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Orange wire with the brown trace from the headlight switch. That is the dimmer control wire. There are two. Choose wisely. I hooked up pyro last week. 12v for isspro from fuse, light from orange/brown tracer and ground everything nicely.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm thinking about tapping into the cigarette lighter. It's switched. I'm trying to keep all my wire splices inside the cab.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went and dug through the manual. (See attached)

It looks like I can tap into the wire in cavity #4 on the headlamp switch connector. That looks like it is powering the lamp in the headlight switch.

The other orange/brown wire goes to the headlamp switch. Don't think I'll mess with that one.

Attachments

·
Dakota for life!
823 Posts
Get you one of these 12 volt test probes. They're a life saver.

·
6.1 FTW
2,307 Posts
RockHauler said:
Orange wire with the brown trace from the headlight switch. That is the dimmer control wire. There are two. Choose wisely. I hooked up pyro last week. 12v for isspro from fuse, light from orange/brown tracer and ground everything nicely.
RockHauler, I also sent you a PM to ask this but I'll post here too if anyone else can answer:

OK I agree with what you are saying from the diagrams I have in the dealership manual. I have been looking at the schematic that was posted by sengelhart for a couple days on my own and I think I need the orange/brown wire in slot #2 of the connector to get the dimmer switch output (not #4 which is the other orange/gray wire). Is that the one you used? And does it dim your gauge lamp along with the instrument panel lamps?

When I was looking at it though I became convinced that would need more than just to tap into that one wire to power my lamp. But honestly not sure and wanted to check before I use a t-tap to get in there.

FYI- I am running a MECHANICAL gauge here so the only thing I am trying to power is the lamp and I would like it to dim with the panel gauges.

Thanks!

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
I used the headlight as well for the dim... and since I have the power pedals, I tapped into them for the switched +12V.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Do not use a Wire probe on anything in this truck. Use a multi meter. If you ground something you are not supposed to a wire probe will not protect you ECM or another control module. USE A MULTIMETER!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.