DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 dodge 318 that I can't stop the inside of the tail pipe from being really black. The carb has been rebuilt and all adjustment's are correct as far as I can tell. There is no flooding and the choke is open. Truck starts and runs great.
I am missing something I can't think of. Thanks for any help and idea's.

·
Registered
16,619 Posts
you prolly never will with the lean burn system the truck has....

·
Registered
16,619 Posts
acton mike said:
i have an 84 with 318 2 bbl holley - no lean burn; all adjustments apparently correct and the tail pipe is black/sooty
go figure
dosnt it have a computer in side the left fender behind the battery ?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
no lean burn system
no electronic controls on the carb
no O2 sensor
while the distributor is electronic, advance is controlled by vacuum and mechanical

electronic engine control, to say the least, is minimal

I may spend some bucks and put an aftermarket carb on it; I have heard good things said about the Edelbrock units. Of course, that may mean changing the intake manifold

If i really wanted to push the boat out, I could go for an after market FI system; TBI would suit me since the beast is my weekend warrior for getting and fetching

However, the Eddy carb and manifold is probably still less costly than an aftermakerket FI system

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
My father-in-law's '85 van is a 318/2bbl. and doesn't have any computer controls. Now on the other hand, my '85 with 225/1bbl. has ESA. Still works fine, so I'm not messing with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.