DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok i looked at this truck today it was a 72-75? dodge w 100 4x4 and it had a gas tank behind the seat and a gas tank underneath and i took of the gas cap and you could see how the y pipe came together right there? ive never seen this does it suck from both tanks equal or is there a switch and how does the gauge work? it had 2 batteries and it looked like more leaf springs in the back than mine but not for sure the body on it is better than mine and its got new tires and im gunna make the guy an offer but i was wondering if it was somkind of special "camper" pakage

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Never seen it, but thought about getting a tank for behind the seat

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've got 2 tanks, but they are seperate. It has a switch to choose the tank and fuel gauge works for both.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
thinking of getting to pass atleast 2 gas stations

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Lol^^

If it's a dual tank truck from the factory, it'll have a gas cap for each tank, it won't use the same one for both. At least I've never seen or heard of it. If it does, it's 99.9% probable that it's not factory, and I'd steer clear of it. No telling what else is rigged on it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's a '72 or '73. The single fill source was a two-year-only design. The tank is also unique for those two years and the fill hose enters the tank at the bottom, instead of the top. There is a solenoid operated valve attached to the frame on the right side of the truck that switches both the fuel line and the gauge. If you set the switch to the lower tank, fuel from the top tank would gravity feed to the lower tank.

The lower tank is very rare and the attaching hose is out of production. When I had to replace the hose on mine, I ended up having to use exhaust pipe to make a Z-shaped design that could be attached to the tank and filler with two pieces of straight fuel hose.

The sending unit is also a rare piece and out of production. I managed to locate a NOS sender at a very high price.

By all means, salvage the tank, straps, hose, sender, filler and valve. Also get the switch, which is located to the right of the steering wheel, near the bottom of the dash. Someone will want it, even if you don't. Be extremely careful that you don't crack the tank when you remove it, as the old plastic is brittle.

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Heh heh, well I stand corrected then. Still sounds hoky though :) I'd rip it all out, sell it, and put either a regular in-cab tank or regular framerail tank in it.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I think the frame tank would be safer

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Ahhh I dunno, I don't think the in-cab is much more dangerous. How often has anyone heard of them exploding in an accident? Unless you get T-boned really hard, there's almost no chance of it exploding that way. As for leaks, very seldom do they leak as far as I've seen, after all they are inside out of the weather and such. So they usually have very little corrosion.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Only thing I don't like about the in cab tank is sometimes it smells of fuel. But that might just be the motor. Or the gas cap. Who knows :)

I'm pretty sure its the cap as it needs a new cork on it. Anyone know where one could be located?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
NeDodgeguy said:
Only thing I don't like about the in cab tank is sometimes it smells of fuel. But that might just be the motor. Or the gas cap. Who knows :)

I'm pretty sure its the cap as it needs a new cork on it. Anyone know where one could be located?
parts house

or just get a new cap

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Sounds like GHS said it all, it's a factory setup. The electric solenoid on the right frame does go bad from time to time and the tank senders can be rebuilt if needed. This is a crazy looking setup but it's real. The gas cap/s you can get at any good auto parts store.

There are a number of places online that repair tachs,gauges, and senders, etc. Here's a few...
www.gaugeguys.com
www.autoinstruments.com
www.redlinegaugeworks.com
www.dashusa.com
www.tachman.com
www.bobsspeedometer.com
www.williamsons.com
www.american-classic.com
www.speedometershop.com
www.ccspeedometer.com
www.dandmrestoration.home.mindspring.com
www.paspeedo.com
www.clocksandgauges.com

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
One other thing. You can use the club cab tank which has a different sender. You might be able to find one of them easier than the one used on the dual tank setup for the standard cab. I used the club cab tank with the other sending unit, because I already had a NOS sender, but it doesn't have provisions for a vent tube so you have to refuel very slowly to keep it from burping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.