DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Night Rider
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct in saying that the only things that hold up the gas tank are the two straps and the sending unit? It isn't bolted anywhere to the frame correct?

And does NAPA carry replacement straps? I lost mine in the mud last night....

-Pat-

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
You should be able to get a strap at the dealer pretty cheap. Napa may carry them

·
Night Rider
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, the stock strap was pretty rusted, it just broke right in half, just two 1/2 bolts to pull off which seem pretty easy.

V10, you know how there is 3 sections to the heat shield on the side of the gas tank:

Section 1 :strap: Section 2 :strap: Section 3: - well if section one is the front of the truck, section three is banging against my driveshaft, it was just a rubber piece holding it to the gas tank, which wore out over time, think it would be a bad idea to take off the third section?

-Pat-

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you have any buddies to help, pull the bed off for the straps. It makes life alot more easy.

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
There is no nneed to pull the bed for the straps. There is only 1 bolt per strap and the bolts are accessed from the bottom of the truck. You wont gain anything from pulling the bed. I can drop my entire tank in 5 minutes flat. 2 bolts for the straps, the 4 filler neck belds on teh bed, unplug the wiring harness, and push in the quick disconnects for the fuel lines.

I pulled my heat shields all the way off the last time I dropped the ank. No issues whats so vever,

·
Registered
518 Posts
5 minutes my ass.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
5 minutes after the truck is on a lift.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I just had my Dodge stripped for parts because of a recall. When I took the the bed off, I noticed how easilly accesiblil to get to the traps and the fuel pump/sending unit. I did the drop the tank deal when my fuel pump when out. the front strap was a b*****, especially when the takn was 3/4 full, but that was only a small part of the problem. So from taking the bed off and dropping the tank, taking the bed off would be a hell of alot easier. But you could fight that front starp if you want too. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
518 Posts
No way 5 min. on a lift even.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
I can get them out in about six minutes...but when you work for a stealership: you've gotta work fast.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Night Rider, I had the same truck that you are questioning about, trust me I know.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Well I did say no way for 5 min. But even 6 is close.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The front strap is a bitch to get to.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
I had the stupid service writer breathing down my neck. He sat there with a stupid stopwatch just to antagonize me! :VHOT: :VHOT: :VHOT: :VHOT: :VHOT:

Anyway, that's why I know I could do it (on a GM truck) in six minutes bookin'. :cool:

But, not to discredit you even it the job can be done in five minutes: he has the same truck as you. ;)

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
dodgeramrod said:
5 minutes my ass.
Oh yeah your right. No way possible do undo 2 strap bolts and 4 small filler neck bolts in 5 minutes, what was I thinking :whackit:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.