DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have 95 2500 4x4 The Rear Tank Strap Rusted Through And Broke. I Have New Strap But Having Difficulty Getting Nut Off The Hanging Stud. Can This Stud Be Replaced With A New One. Any Help Would Be Appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'd try like all hell to get it off, blast with a quality penetrating lube and heat cherry hot if necessary.
Put an over size deep well socket over the nut with a long extension, then bang it with a hammer to loosen up some of the rust.
I know its not the most accessible location ... I don't know for sure, offhand I'd say it would seem likely they could be replaced, but of course you'd have to pop the bed off.
Are probably welded onto the top of the crossmember, once the bed is off you'd have to grind off the head then drill out the stud.
Once again, don't know for sure, but anything is doable. One thing is sure, if you can get that nut off you'll save a helluva lot of extra labor & time.

I'd also replace the other strap while you are there, are they OEM replacements or the cheapo generic autozone straps ?

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
I dont believe there welded, more over pushed in wiith a press. Afraid the bed will come off, unless the soaking proves removal without breaking stud. May have to worry about bed bolts if the stud breaks

·
Driven to perfection
862 Posts
That's a good question. I would like to know about this also as I just had the fuel pump replaced in mine and I know for a fact they removed the bed to do the job!!!! I have read that's the easy way to get to the pump. How stupid!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I don't think its easier to remove the bed than to drop the tank, I have heard that some do. I have dropped my tank twice in the last year or so, not all that hard of an operation.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
2 people can pickup a shortbox bed, easily. were-as if you dont have a lift or a nice transmission jack, you'd be working on your back for most of the process

·
Registered
462 Posts
May be true, there are pros and cons to anything.
On the other hand, dropping a tank you have only 2 bolts to contend with ... 8 or so for a bed, which would also put you on your back for awhile.
People seem to be pre convinced that dropping a gas tank is a nightmare, to be avoided at all costs. Most tanks can be on the ground in half an hour, and is not much of a chore at all, even for one person. Can be done with 1 jack, 2 is better.

Since the OP never posted back, I assume the problem is taken care of.
Hope he didn't use those cheap generic straps, I wouldn't hang an exhaust with those.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A couple of weeks ago on the way home from chicago on I57, a poor dodge truck was setting on the side of the road with the gas tank hanging down on the ground. I assume one of the straps gave out.

I work for a fuel pump company & the techs report that many customers lift the bed rather than drop the tank.

I once had tank strap failures on a '64 ford & I made new ones out of some of the metal banding material they use to strap stuff onto pallets.
Mike Sal

·
Registered
462 Posts
I had a strap snap on me, luckily I noticed it hanging while walking to my truck from a gas station, and was able to limp home with the 1 holding out.
I didn't see anything I'd feel comfortable using at the auto stores, they all had the same generic crap, that in fact looked just like unpainted pallet banding. I found OEM at NAPA for about $50 for a pair, had to wait a few days ,,, Much rather do that than improvise. If 1 gave out, no way would the other chintzy strap hold the load.

Lift bed vs drop tank debate will never have a winner. People do what they want, its a no brainer for me. Dropping a tank is simple, and can easily be done by yourself. Lifting the bed requires extra sets of hands, and messing with 8 bolts vs 2.
Not only that, but dropping the tank lets you see and access the fuel and brake line portion between the tank and frame rail, which is typically rusted to hell and needs replacing.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I Have 95 2500 4x4 The Rear Tank Strap Rusted Through And Broke. I Have New Strap But Having Difficulty Getting Nut Off The Hanging Stud. Can This Stud Be Replaced With A New One. Any Help Would Be Appreciated. Thanks
i also had a pump repair this summer. the stud was siezed and very stubborn, but didnt break, thank goodness!
givin the choice to remove the pump, i droped the tank. its easyer for one person to do it that way. though i've seen a member or two here get creative with a jack, tilt the bed up just far enough to access underneath it for work room. the bed doesnt entirely have to come off.
cant belive the expensive carter pumps only last three years. this time i went to airtex. :WHT:

Attachments

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
I can't wait to drop my tank again as I am removing the rear springs this winter yet again. I am taking the bed off.

·
Registered
219 Posts
:whackit:
Your all making me feel bad about the ratchet strap I used to replace my rear strap when it broke!! It was right after I got the truck & I choked when I saw the replacement price, so a quick fix with the strap & she was good. Six months later I kind of forgot about it! The tank has been full most of the time & its still there (crossing fingers). In my defence, I figured I would have replaced a fuel pump by now & fixed that while I was in there :D

·
Registered
516 Posts
hey 2x4, i did the same thing on mine 6 months ago, for the same reason. will also replace with the fuel pump, great minds think alike, lol. as for the tank vs bed issue, on the 4x4 i will drop the tank, on my van i have no choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.