DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped fuel pumps on a 99caravan.Had a small leak from the retainer ring,when I filled up.Redid it and have the same problem.Everything is clean and new(filter too).Is there a special gasget?My hair is really clean,but it smells like gas.Took extra care to make sure everything is alinged properly.What now?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have changed fuel pumps a couple of times and use a small wire brush in a power drill to clean the rust away around the ring. I also carefully scrape the loose rust off of the rubber ring but stop short of nicking the rubber. But with that said when i watch regular garages do it they just slam it back on and do not clean up anything.

Another tip is to pound on each of the 3 tang’s evenly, as in one at a time, working your way around. This makes the ring turn easer and keeps it centered. Also the retaining ring has a stop when it is fully installed make sure you turn it far enough.

And how do you know it is leaking out of the retaining ring hole? It is far more likely that some ware, were the metal retaining straps touched the gas tank, there is a rusted thru hole in the tank. If you take it out again, fill it with water and see were it leaks for sure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
if you look carefully on the tank, where the pump/sending unit mounts in the 7 o'clock position on the tank, there is and arrow molded into the tank pointing towards the threads. On the threaded ring there is also an arrow, these 2 arrows must be aligned when the threaded ring is fully tightened. To ease with the friction, i usually put light coating of vasaline on the area where the retainer is mating with the pump/sending unit. if the arrows are not aligned when fully tightened they will leak. did you used a new o ring?

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Is their a crack on the tank flange, Can you tell the leak is from the fuel pump assembly. If it vapor leak, it can eminate from the vapor return line from charcoal canister

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Van here. Didn,t know about the arrows! Used a new O-ring & oil on it etc.($16-ridiculus)Checked the Flange and threads very carefully.Third times the charm--I hope

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, I did it again and the leak is spopped. in reference to the arrows on the tank +flange,I think those are for starting the threads.Tightened it by hand as tight as I could (manual calls for 40#) Didn't want to go another half turn to line up the arrows. Just got lucky this time,I guess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.