DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just got done reading a post on ramchargercentral about using acetone in your gas to increase gas mileage and was just wondering what you guys thought about it. Also, I don't know if this is just in my area or nation wide but for some reason super unleaded or unleaded plus is cheaper than regular unleaded and has been for some time now. I was just wondering if anyone knew why?

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
I read about the acetone thing also, i'm curious what the people around here think about it. This could get interesting.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Acetone and me

OK here is my 2 cents...I read several articles over the past month on the subject and after doing a little detective work decided to try it. Since there are many plastic parts in the fuel system I got what I could from various places and placed all of them in pure Acetone for 2 weeks. I saw and felt no difference in the parts so I figured what the hell I might as well try it. Before I started adding Acetone to my tank I took 3 readings of MPG. I got 10.9, 11.3 and 11.6 BEFORE Acetone. I used 3 ounces to 10 gals of 87 octane gas...first tank was a full 7 ounces. Here is where it gets kind of interesting. After filling the tank and adding the Acetone I drove for about 2 miles and immediately noticed that a slight ping I had under hard acceleration was gone. Well I figured it was just wishful thinking. I drove home and let it sit overnight. Started it the next morning and started driving still no ping and I am stomping it every chance I had. I thought it felt a tad bit more responsive as well but again that could just be the placebo effect too. Does it for a fact work? I don't really know. Do I feel better about the performance of my truck? yup I sure do. Did my milage increase at all? Nope it sure didn't. My most recent MPG with the Acetone was 11.1, 11.5 and 11.8. Will I keep using it? For now, yes I guess so. Did any of this help you out any??? I hope so.

Keep On RAMMIN

·
An Army of One
1,227 Posts
Good write up Griz, everytime I walk paste it when I go to Lowes or Home Depot, it crosses my mind, so will have to try it!

·
What a ride...
1,215 Posts
So this is just the stuff that is at any home depot or lowes?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yup thats the same stuff...you can get it at Walmart, home depot, lowes or any auto parts house.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just a word of warning.

This is some pretty volatile stuff.
In other words, keep it in a cool dry storage area off the ground or concrete. Most importantly do not expose to open flame.
Equally important is when handling, do so in a WELL ventilated area. The fumes will knock you for a loop!
You'll get my drift the moment you first crack the cap loose.
Also avoid repeated exposure to bare skin.
AND DO NOT GET IT ON YOUR TRUCKS FINISH!

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
Supa Roosta said:
Just a word of warning.

This is some pretty volatile stuff.
In other words, keep it in a cool dry storage area off the ground or concrete. Most importantly do not expose to open flame.
Equally important is when handling, do so in a WELL ventilated area. The fumes will knock you for a loop!
You'll get my drift the moment you first crack the cap loose.
Also avoid repeated exposure to bare skin.
AND DO NOT GET IT ON YOUR TRUCKS FINISH!
Yeah we put my sisters pet mouse to sleep with it. Soaked a cotton ball in it and put it in a coffee can and it soon died. Mouse had a tumor on it and was suffering so she asked us to get rid of it in a humaine way.

On a brighter side. Kep us posted. How much does a can of it cost? Is it even worth adding if it is expensive?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bunch of guys in a Jeep Cherokee group I follow recently tried adding this. After a few tanks using it most of them found that they had a smoother idle, less pinging, slightly better throtal response, and just minimal increases in gas mileage. They also noted that you have to run a few tanks through to begin to get the full benifits for gas mileage.

-Joe

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
chrispbrown27 said:
Ok, I just got done reading a post on ramchargercentral about using acetone in your gas to increase gas mileage and was just wondering what you guys thought about it. Also, I don't know if this is just in my area or nation wide but for some reason super unleaded or unleaded plus is cheaper than regular unleaded and has been for some time now. I was just wondering if anyone knew why?
I think there is tax break given for the unleaded + due to it contains ethanol. :gr_patrio

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.