DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
don't dodge it ram it
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what everybody gets to a gallon of gas. since i got my truck in my opinon i get unusally good gas mileage. my last fillup numbers are in and i got 380 miles on 20 gallons of gas which equals about 19mpg. does anyone else get these kinds of numbers with a 318 V8.

·
Mother Mopar
504 Posts
I was wondering what everybody gets to a gallon of gas. since i got my truck in my opinon i get unusally good gas mileage. my last fillup numbers are in and i got 380 miles on 20 gallons of gas which equals about 19mpg. does anyone else get these kinds of numbers with a 318 V8.
Your very lucky... At best I get about 12 where I live. But I dont have any highways, that I travel on at least.

Here was my forum a little while back on this issue

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231604

·
46re(tarded)
352 Posts
My best before winter gas (which was the first 2 tanks of my ownership) was 13mpg, that was a mix of city and 55mph open country roads. About 11 strictly city (2nd tank). Now i get 9-10 with needing to use 4x4 a lot.

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
My last tank wasn't much above 10mpg. The -30 temps and a lot more idling sink the mileage down fast. Generally with 80% highway I'll get around 15-16mpg. Lowered trucks will reduce aerodynamic drag and help to boost mileage. It's all about weather and speed. I rarely exceed 65mph when traveling. Getting 13mpg or less on the highway is terrible in my books.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Mine has ran from a worst of 13.75 to a best of 21.88. :gr_patrio

·
Mother Mopar
504 Posts
It is tough to get any mileage in a 4x4 And after you lift it you increase its drag co efficient resistance, and when you put bigger tires on it, you increase rolling resistance. You add a big stereo, extra speakers, a tool box full of heavy tools, and theres no space under your seats because of all the crap there. So you increase its already gargantuan curb weight. Then you add a few bolt on mods to the motor and expect things to get better?

Not gonna happen.
As it was once put...^^^^^

·
The Man
365 Posts
From what I've seen with a 5.2L engine and 2wd that is average mileage for w well tuned up truck.

I am hoping to get there with my 2wd 5.9L quad cab, but it isn't looking promising. I still have hope though. I still need to remove the 3rd catalytic converter and spend a bunch more money (order all (4) NTK O2 sensors, order a tunneau cover, and order the Magnaflow head pipe w/ high flow cats which is almost double for my 2001 California truck then for the 1994-regular 2001 models).

We'll see if any of it helps.

·
Mother Mopar
504 Posts
I still need to remove the 3rd catalytic converter...
Wow 3 Cats, california is serious about emissions:huh::crazy: I know that your truck hasssss to flow better once all that is removed and replaced.

·
The Man
365 Posts
Yeah I was like :YO: when I saw them. There is one regular sized one off of each exhaust manifold and a massive unit where the Y-pipe comes together.

I think these are really holding my trucks power & fuel economy back.

Obviously the two off of the manifolds have an O2 sensor before and after each one, however the massive 3rd one surely wouldn't be missed.
I'd pull all three off, however I don't want a CEL.

Also the Magnaflow highflow catalytic converter/head pipes are $650.00 for the 2001 California model truck only, of course!:tdwn: :YO:

·
Mother Mopar
504 Posts

·
The Man
365 Posts
That link doesn't work.

I've added high flow catalytic converters to my other cars and used all sort of different solutions. Nothing I tried worked on them. It seemed the high flow catalytic converter just don't clean the exhaust enough.

On my 2000 Tiburon alone I tried the manual O2 sensor eliminators (nothing more than a spacer that gets your O2 sensor out of the main exhaust flow), I tried moving the O2 sensors away and closer to the catalytic converter, I used a resistor that other have had success with, two different brands of O2 sensors (now have new Hyundai sensors in it), and still has the CEL. It has never gone away.
The car performs better then most with the same mods, and get better fuel economy than it ever has, so nothing is "wrong".
I've just been living with it for the past 5 years. I just feel kind of dumb when people ask "why is your CEL on?" or "is something wrong with your car?"

·
Mother Mopar
504 Posts
That link doesn't work.

I've added high flow catalytic converters to my other cars and used all sort of different solutions. Nothing I tried worked on them. It seemed the high flow catalytic converter just don't clean the exhaust enough.

On my 2000 Tiburon alone I tried the manual O2 sensor eliminators (nothing more than a spacer that gets your O2 sensor out of the main exhaust flow), I tried moving the O2 sensors away and closer to the catalytic converter, I used a resistor that other have had success with, two different brands of O2 sensors (now have new Hyundai sensors in it), and still has the CEL. It has never gone away.
The car performs better then most with the same mods, and get better fuel economy than it ever has, so nothing is "wrong".
I've just been living with it for the past 5 years. I just feel kind of dumb when people ask "why is your CEL on?" or "is something wrong with your car?"
Oh ok... yea I cant stand CELs especialy when there is nothing wrong with the vehical. I changed my O2 sensors and I havent had anymore trouble but its only been about 2 or 3 weeks. That kinda sucks though, I was hoping that I might have some luck if the CEL came back on :bawl:

·
The Man
365 Posts
Flow and perform better yes.

But I like my truck quiet. It sounds awesome right now with the cold air intake system and the Dynomax Super Turbo 3" dual exhaust on it.

I am a little hesistant to install the headers I have for it. Everyone says they make it louder. I don't want louder, but I guess I'll have to live with it. :tdwn:
Once I get the Magnaflow high flow cats/head pipe installed I just hope I still enjoy driving it. I go long distances in it and dont want all that noise. I like to hold conversations with my passengers at a low tone.

·
Mother Mopar
504 Posts
That link doesn't work.
Were you saying that the link to the site from dodge talk didnt work. I just edited that post if you would like to try it again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i usually get 14-18 with my 318 but wow i feel pretty bad for ya 3 cats! id say just run straight pipes there very ecofriendly :)

·
The Man
365 Posts
Works now!

I haven't had any luck with those either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.