DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: I have purchased an '02 Ram Truck w/ a small 4.7L engine. It seems to be stock, except for the dual exhaust, and 20" Ram wheels. I am getting an average mileage of 13.4mpg with fairly sedate driving. This seems to me at least 5mpg lower than it should be. What are you stock guys getting, how can I tell what the rear end gearing is, and if a previous owner put some "power" eprom chip in it?

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
Rear axle ratio should be on a sticker in the govebox, or on the side of the door. If you can't find or don't have either then give the dealer your VIN and they can certainly tell you what you're runnin'!

Average of 13.4mpg does seem a tad on the low side to me, considering my 5.9 durango averages 14mpg in mixed driving. If you have a 2wd then 13.4 is fairly low. A tuneup with good spark plugs might help out. Also keep in mind the 20" wheels weigh more than the standard 17's and will give the truck more rolling resistance. I accelerate gently and keep shifts under 2200rpm. With the 4.7 I'd probably keep shifts around 2300-2400rpm. Another note, my durango weighs 200-500lbs less than the ram depending on which cab you have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
if the truck came with 20's, you probably have the 3.92 gears. My 02 2wd 4.7 gets 14-16 average. I put plugs in when the milage dropped in the 13's

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, this is my first Dodge. I will spin the plugs out and take a look at them this weekend, any ideas on a chip or anything like that? I haven't seen any on the profiles of anybody on the forum, so I don't know if they even make them. The intake stuff looks good for power, but i'm thinking that if you increase airflow, the FI will put in more gas, so that is not the way to go for mileage. I didn't expect to get Honda mileage, but I didn't expect to get RV mileage, either.....LOL

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would give my left nut for 13.4 mpg. I am lucky if I get out of the 11's. If it is a four wheel drive and it has any kind of aggressive tire pattern your mileage is pretty typical. Also the 20's are heavier than the 17's that most of the 4.7's usually have so that will contribute to lower mileage. They don't make any chips for our trucks that do anything so if you find one on there you can probably take it off and not notice any difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Maybe I need to trade somebody for their 17's....There's a thought....I wonder if my odo and speedo are off because of the bigger wheels.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
It's the size of the tire not the wheel that will throw your speedo off. What size tire do you have?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have been told that 4:57 gears will actually gain you mpg as well as give you better power.

I was sceptical at first. But with much research on this forum.......I think they may have found a solution that not only saves fuel, but is more FUN.

I am saving up for a set of 4:57 gears LSD for my truck.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have an 07 stock lonestar quadcab with around 6000 miles on it. When I fill up and drive around town I get around 13.5 mgp. IF I take it on the Highway I can get up to 19. It feels like my truck hates city driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.