DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Durango R/T that has a FIPK intake on it. I purchased it new and have always got between 10 and 12 city and 11 to 15 hwy (15 downhill with a hurricane force tailwind, 8.5 avg hwy pulling a light trailer). When i purchased it I knew it was a gas pig but I did not care. However, now that gas is around $2.30, It has hit me a little harder in the budget and im now starting to care. I have a couple questions for all of you.

1. Is there anyone out there that installed the Hypertech Programmer. If so, did it help with mileage, and does it really give a worthy seat of the pants horswpower increase running the lowest grade octane 85/87? Do you recommend it for the $250+ it costs?

2. I haved considered trading it for a SLT plus with the 4.7 for better mileage. Is this a good/bad idea and does the 4.7 get better mileage?

I don't want to sell the Durango because i love it, i just want to spend a little less money on fuel if possible. Thanks for the Help!

Scott

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
I have a 4.7 and just installed a superchips programmer, a flowmaster delta 40 muffler and a free-er flowing air filter. I had been averaging approx 13.2 combined mileage....since the upgrades I have suffered from leaded footitis yet have averaged 14.8 combined mileage....I imagine if I can reduce the symptoms of the leaded footitis my mileage should improve a bit more hopefully near the 15.5 mark.

PS I have no experience with the hypertech but the superchips made a significant improvment in power and shifting, I havent played with the 87 program yet but definetly LOVE the 91 performance program.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The 4.7 does get better gas mileage than it sounds like you do, I have been getting approximately 14.5 mpg combined driving, and my truck has a lot of additional bumper weight, not to mention reduced aerodynamics.

Unless you could turn a profit on your truck, I wouldn't suggest selling it just to get another D. I think the cost of changing vehicles, taxes at least, even if you sell and buy for the same price, wouldn't be worth the savings in gas.

Another idea might be to locate a commuter vehicle which, while not being near as cool as the D, would leave you free to locate a car getting between 20 and 30 MPG. Find a cheap one and keep the D too, that's what I did :)

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
11-15 on the highway is a little low for the 5.9. On a stricly highway trip most will get 15-17. On the poorest mileage trips, mine averages 15.5. Best days are in the 17's. When was the last time basic tune items were done?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I drove a 4.7 for about a week (a family friend let me borrow it) and it actually got worse mileage than my 5.9. I usually got about 15 - 16 combined city/hwy mileage and 19-21 on strictly highway before I modified my ignition and got 4.10 gears.

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
1. On the 4.7L the Superchips make a difference, even on the 87 program and I personally believe its worth it.
2. If you are really looking for better mileage, you'll need to ditch the AWD and go with just 2wd 4.7L SLT+ with the stock 16" rims. Get the 3.92's and you won't notice much performance difference from the R/T.

·
Registered
68 Posts
just drove 730 miles, easy highway, just over 80mph entire time... average 13.9 mpg... My combined normal average is about 11, mixed city highway...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I avg. 14 mpg w/ my 'D', 99' w/ a 5.9L. K&N air filter is the only change. I also run Mobil 1, 5w30 and a K&N oil filter, don't think that makes any diff. though.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thanks for all the responses. I will try to answer all of them. I got it new and did a tune up at 30K...just replaced plugs with Autolite. It now has 35K and there was no change after the tune up. I already have a commuter car since i drive 50 miles to work each way. Its a Honda Accord with 258K and still runs like new...35mpg. The fuel here has ethanol in it. We have octane levels of 85/87/91, no 93 available here..i assume due to altitude. my house is at 7300 feet. I have tried running both 87 and 91 and there is no difference in performance or mileage from 85. I originally was thinking trading straight across at a dealership for a SLT Plus with the 4.7 for better mileage, but it sounds like that may be wishful thinking, and after reading some comments here, the sludge issue concerns me and the mileage is not that much better, certainly not worth giving up my R/T. I have no intention of selling it, I love it. I just want to spend a little less in gas. I have always said ill take power anyday over fuel mileage. while that is still true, i have been eating my words lately at $2.30 a gallon. The question now is if i should spend the money for the Hypertech programmer. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
68 Posts
SCOTT02RT said:
i have been eating my words lately at $2.30 a gallon. The question now is if i should spend the money for the Hypertech programmer. Thanks for the help!
Don't feel bad, my manual calls for 91 octane only - I tried to ignore that but I get some nasty knocks, pings and rattling with the other grades... This leaves me with a 2.69 option, if I search for the cheap station.. been costing about 67.00 per fill...

·
Sicker Than All
517 Posts
i'm actually considering selling my durango because of gas prices. i've been spending $200-300 a month on gas. between that and a $350 payment, i'm hurting.

i'd like to just pick up a newer civic or something. it's not as cool but it'd be way cheaper for me (gas and payment).

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
You people......... :crazy:

I checked the mileage once with my 99, and never in this one. If it needs gas, ya put it in. :WHT: If ya got a truck just to be cool, yeah, then sell it & get one of them econo-boxes. With the prices being what they've been, I put in what I could afford, when I could afford to. The price dropped down to $2.10 a gal for a couple of days just recently. It was the 1st time in a few months that I filled the D's tank all the way. :crazy:

SCOTT02RT:

I really don't know about the programers for mileage. If your going to do much towing, stick with the 5.9, it has way more torque. More torque = less stress when towing.

cardfan:

You've got the OLD manual. Only the 2000 R/T's needed the high octane gas. Anything after a 10/2000 build date can use the 87. That's all I've ever used in mine, & I've NEVER had any issues with the engine because of it.

·
AKA: Justin
190 Posts
my 4.7 Avg. About 17 Combined and about 22 hwy or so... no mods really. It's weird that there is such a variance in mileage with the same motor
and im always hard on the gas

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It sounds like the smart move it to keep it. Although the gas mileage is killing me now, im the original owner, its paid off, I love it and I dont think i can make a good deal exchanging it. If the 4.7 got a consistent 17-22, it may be worth looking further into, but it sounds like the majority of you are getting just slightly more than me. I think I will go ahead and get the Hypertech and try it out. If all i gain is more power, I will be satisfied. It sounds like most of the Hypertech users have noticed a change so I will try it. If I don't notice a change, i can always remove the program and return it (If they accept returns). Thank you for all the help! I have another question about my transmission that i will post. We will see what you all think on that one. Thanks again!

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
I can't comment on the Hypertech but the superchips helped my milage, at least on the 87 program. I average about 17.5 mixed driving, I'm going on a longer trip at the end of the month so I'll report on that later.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmmm...my 2001 R/T did not like the 87 octane program from the Hypertech programmer. It pinged like crazy, so I returned it. I did feel a bit of performance increase, but not worth the damage it could have done...hopefully you experience better results!

·
Registered
64 Posts
2000 AWD, 5.9L, 9.92 in the case, FIPK, 3" pipes thru a magnaflow short. MSD ignition.

10-11mpg street, 8-9 street with lead foot engaged, 15 highway, 11-12 highway towing

Hey its a V8! shit happends, I try to make myself use Curse-Control alot, it really helps out. I just take a deep breath and take my foot off the gas....

I upgraded form the stock 31" tire to a 32x11.5x15 on 15x8s with a 2" tbar lift and noticed no diffrence in gas.. ill be adding some shackels to lif tthe back up a tad in about 3 weeks, but i dout that will have any effect.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey Bee, Im with you 100% on your Durango. Mines a 2000 AWD too and I get the same gas milage as you. I have a REALLLLLY hard time keeping my foot off the gas. With my Edelbrock stack intake and the nice swishing sound it makes over my flowmaster 40, I just wanna floor it all the time. From an economic standpoint........Gas is always gonna be an issue and eventually we will run out........sucks........the day our cars and trucks run on recycled papers and trash and doesn't sound like the 360 I have now is the day I starts walking to work :thatfunny

·
phahengpro
123 Posts
Hey, I'm with you guys. Gas is expensive, but you can't expect too good a mileage out of a heavy ass vehicle with a good sized V8. I suppose a Kia sportage with its whiney 4 banger would use less gas, but damn its hard to get those mice to run fast enough to get you on the freeway without getting pasted to someones front grill. I got my mileage up to between 14.5 and 15.3 mixed (depending on how much is highway/street). It went up a little after I pulled the Jet and sold in on Ebay. It seems a step slower, however, so I think I'm going to go with either a Hypertech or Superchip programmer. I like the added getup (any added gas mileage would be a bonus). The HyperPac looks cool but it's going to be kind of expensive. :rck:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.