DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wonder what i can expect from a quad cab hemi. I am looking at a used 03 model. I currently have a regular cab with the 4.7 automatic. I am in the low 17's overall. most of my driving is to work which is open road, but i do spend some time in city driving as i live just outside a small town. Will i see a big difference. I had one guy tell me he was getting 13 city an 18 hwy in a hemi 4x4, is this acurate? I should be able to beat a 4x4 right? all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dude...

You can't have your cake (hemi) and eat it too (good gas mileage), although there are a few mods out there and will mildly improve mileage - but not what you enjoy with the D.

Personally, I'm disappointed that this little 345 CI engine drinks more fuel and has no where near the power of my '66 C Body big block 383 4-bbl Hyper.

My old Chrysler will roast 'em off with two wheel peel and bury the needle at 120 AND if it can't roast a car at a stop light, it'll keep up with it. I can't say that about this Hemi.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I have an 04 4X4 AT QC with the HEMI. Replaced an 03 4X4 AT QC with the 4.7L. Both trucks are identical except for year and color. They even had the same axle ratio. The 04 gets better MPG.

Stock my 04 was getting approx 12 city if all I did was city. If I did a mix of city and highway then my MPG was much better running 14-15MPG depending on how much was highway. Straight highway with no city and I got anywhere from 16.0-17.5MPG. One trip on a long flat highway where I was able to set cruise and just go along at 65MPH I got 20.2 MPG figuring on paper.

I have added a dual outlet exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler( #12388 )and also a Volant CAI. Since doing that my MPG has improved by 1.5-2MPG on average. I am now running 13+ city, 15.5-17 city/highway mix, and 18-20 straight highway. I have even had the overhead console reading over 24MPG at times on the highway which it never did( goes down fast though once you hit city streets ).

MPG will never be great in a QC 4X4 but the HEMI will surprise you with the MPG it gets.

·
Registered
193 Posts
MPG will never be great in a QC 4X4 but the HEMI will surprise you with the MPG it gets.
I politely disagree.

I've owned turbocharged 4 cylinders as well as the big 6's and this is my first V8 with any computer crap on it. In the muscle car era, small block motors like this little 345 would net you over 20 mpg all day long, big blocks (like my '60s big block 300) nets me high teens plus all the power I want to both roast two wheel peels yet bury the needle at 120+ mph.

This engine pales in comparison to the great motors of yesteryear in terms of both power and fuel economy. There is no comparison to the early 80s Ram I dropped a 440/727 in. However, by today's standards, the Hemi is an excellent engine.

·
Master Sergeant US Army
125 Posts
I have a 4X4 QC AT Hemi and live on an island (Oahu, Hawaii) and average 14-15 mpg no matter if I am on the highway or in the city. Ohau is only like 20 miles wide by 40 miles long, with alot of mountans.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I average between 14.5 and 15.5. That's about 70% hwy and 30% city. I get 17+ if all hwy miles.

I got worse mileage with my dakota with the 4.7

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a Hemi powered Moose, and I've NEVER seen better than 13 MPG, city or hwy, regardless of how I drive. Usually avg 11-13, period.

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
i had a reg cab ram with 4.7 2wd, and now have a reg cab 4x4 hemi ram, and it gets an average mpg of 13.89 mostly city driving, thats better than my 4.7 ever got, it never got out of the 12's.

·
RamFever
601 Posts
I filled up the other day at 17.8 mpg but my computer read 18.9 and that was 70% highway at 65 - 75. The mpg depends on the mods you have and the way you drive it as well as stop and go traffic, so expect the worst so you will be pleased with the out come.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Move up to a 2500 and get a standard tranny. Those autos take a lot of power to turn. also get the factory 4.10 rearend.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I average mid 14's with my Hemi combined driving. 80% city and 20% highway. Not too bad for such a big truck. I don't dog it too much though.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I averaged 11 - 12 mpg with my QC Hemi 4x4 with mixed driving (hiway vs town). I could see a regular cab, 2 wheel drive, without large tires/wheels getting the kind of mileage that you were talking about, but not a 4x4 QC, but that's just my opinion. OR...Maybe it's just my LEAD FOOT!!!
I had 285/70/17's on my truck, so there weren't huge.

Maybe I had just had a poor running truck?

Either way, I just bought a 2500 CTD, and one factor (not a major factor, but a factor nonetheless) was the supposed 20+ mpg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.