DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1984 Dodge Rampage. I did a fair amount of research before I bought this vehicle on the kind of gas mileage that I could expect from it. A lot of people claimed to get 30+ mpg. And I do believe that is possible, my parents own a 1988 Dodge Shadow with the same engine (2.2L) and do get 30mpg. I checked the gas mileage for the first time on Friday and got only 21mpg. I drive 37 miles one way to work everyday. I know something has to be messed up somewhere. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to fix this? In order to adjust the choke, there is a rivet that needs to be drilled out. I'd rather not do that if at all possible, only as a last resort. The exhaust does smell rich. I did put a stiffer throttle spring on it, but it acted like it wasn't getting enough gas. :help:

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Okay that Rampage has the electronic feedback 2bbl. Holley carb. This is probably your problem...the carbs. are known to be kind of troublesome as they age. The 1988 Shadow is fuel injected.

Rebuilt carburetors are available, but they are not cheap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called my cousin who used to work as a mechanic at a Dodge dealership, he basically told me, that before he would replace the carb, he'd replace the O2 sensor. I just picked one up yesterday, but I have to replace the brake hoses too, so I'm trying to get that done first. Having some trouble with the bleeder screws, they're stuck shut. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to buy new calipers because the bleeder screws were rusted fast and I ended up twisting one off. All fixed now. As far as the gas mileage goes, I found that one of the people who owned the trucklette before me, plugged the hole where the O2 sensor goes. Real smart. The cost of the O2 sensor was $17.00. They caused the Rampage to lose 10 points on gas mileage. They spent more money in gas than to replace a $17.00 sensor. So it should be straightened out now. Thanks for all the advice! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.