DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am kinda pumped. I actually got over 15mpg on my last trip. It was mostly highway driving but i did get stuck in columbus traffic quite a bit. this weeks business trip will be taking me to dayton. we'll see how i do there.

i might throw the IP intake on next weekend to see how i do with that and i definately need to give my throttle body a good cleaning....mainly the IAT valve.

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh, and one more thing... i never got my speedo recalibrated. i went from 28's to 31's. so i'm sure it's off and making it seem like my gas milage is down a bit since i'm actually traveling farther than the speedo is reading. how much is it throwing the speedo off? does anyone know? i can get it recal'd at the dealer right?

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Not sure if it will throw off your MPG, but you can get it reprogrammed at the dealer or do it yourself if you have the Hypertech or Superchips programmer.

I got 50 miles more than normal out of my last tank with the acetone trick. It seems that stuff actually works. I'm going without it on the next fill up tomorrow just to make sure that the increase isn't because of the changeover to the summer blend.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
If you have a stock size tire, and it was optional for you D, yes the dealer can set your D for them. Of course the odometer is off with the larger tires so if you are calculating with it, naturally the calculation is off also.

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
28s (or 235s) to 31s will short you about .4 miles every 5 miles or about 4 mph at 60mph. Before the Hypertech, 4.4 miles to work, after, 4.7. I changed the tire size. As Neil said, the dealer can fix that though, you don't need the Hypertech or Superchips to do that.

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya know, i've heard about the acetone trick. what ratio were you using. i just am kind of skeptical about it, but at this point i might try it. i'm a little concerned about the fuel tank and lines though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just drove back from college today and averaged 17.3 MPG according to the computer but when I filled it, it took 19.7 gallons. My mileage was 381.1 miles. So 381/19.7=19.3 MPG. I was shocked, but I believe it because I usually have to stop for gas, but I didnt this time, the light came on as I was getting off the freeway in my hometown. Not, bad for 152,xxx miles. :)

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
I installed a Fram Air Hog drop in air filter(similar to K&N) and my average has gone from the low 13's to 14.8 over 3 tanks of fuel. Only other thing I have recently done is change the oil so the filter definetly made a difference....my rear end can also feel a difference in performance...not a major performance gain.... but definetly an improvment.

·
Registered
91 Posts
wow....you lucky 4.7L guys. I am fortunate to get 260 to a tank even with hypertech and better intake on my 5.9L. Gas seems to be going down though in Tampa. Last week it was at 2.33$/gallon and now it 2.28$/gallon

·
Registered
750 Posts
You East coasters and you cheaper gas, I haven't seen anything lower than $2.46 (what it is now) in a long time here in Oregon for 87.

With my 5.9 and no mods whatsoever to the engine (well synthetic oil), I got 16.36 on a recent trip up the highway. I can usually get close to 300 miles on a tank of gas. This last tank was my worst in a while, probably because I got on it several times and need to change the oil, I got 12.2

·
Registered
243 Posts
My mileage varies between 14.6 - 19.1 now that I have these 4.10s in. I have to use 91 octane because of the MSD 6+ which right now costs $2.11 per gallon, but last couple of weeks it had been up to $2.46.

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
cbrenn71 said:
ya know, i've heard about the acetone trick. what ratio were you using. i just am kind of skeptical about it, but at this point i might try it. i'm a little concerned about the fuel tank and lines though.
I've found that 2 oz per ten gallons of gas gives a pretty good result. With that little amount of acetone, I seriously doubt that there would be any adverse effects. Remember that 128 ounces equals one gallon. Before I tried it, I soaked two pieces of plastic for about a week. One gas mixed and one straight gas. Both came out looking the exact same. the gas/acetone mix didn't adversely affect the plastic any more than the all gas mix.

Oh yeah... and regular gas is $1.95 where I live right now.

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
I have a pretty even mix of highway/ city. Well maybe 60/40 and I've been averaging 17.5 mpg. I havn't been on an extended highway trip yet, but I'm going camping in WV at the end of the month so we'll see what that does to the milage.

·
Sicker Than All
517 Posts
i pulled down 17.8 mpg over 340 miles this weekend (took 19.x gallons to fill up). about 310 of it was highway driving. i was pretty happy.

i can usually get about 300-315 miles before i get gas. i usually get it just before the light comes on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.