DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference in the different level of gases? is getting 89 compared to 87 really worth the extra money? what does it actually do, i have no clue, so enlighten me please...

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
I don't go lower than 89. I use 94 about 90% of the time.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why? what's the difference between them? i've put 87 in my truck all the time so far.. but my parents don't know the difference, and havent told me otherwise.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
I use 89 because HEMI engines are preferred too. So why be normal when you can be above normal......so sometimes I put 93 (DFW) or 94 (Lubbock) in. Its called the Shell V-Power.

I notice a little difference, but that just may me wanting to find a difference. So, I am not really sure....

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i have a 340 engine in mine.. and i dont have any books for it or anything.. im guessing the preferred is 87 or 89.. but i mean, what's the gas companies reason in the difference in them?

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
the75powerwagon said:
well i have a 340 engine in mine.. and i dont have any books for it or anything.. im guessing the preferred is 87 or 89.. but i mean, what's the gas companies reason in the difference in them?
My dad's G35 says "Preminum Only" and thats 89...so the gas companies are probably just meeting the demand for it. 87 is good, but 89 won't hurt.

Fill up with 87, then next time fill up with 89. See if there is a difference.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think is the anti ping rating of the gasoline, it has something to do with all the compounds that make up gas, and how much of which compound is in the grade that you buy. 93 is supposed to burn hotter and cleaner than 87, and maybe give a lil more power. From what ive always heard!!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
basically its like this, the octane rating is the tendancy for the gasoline to combust by itself, the higher the number the harder it is for the gas to ignite without a spark, good for when you are running high compression, forced induction, and or cars with lots of timing advance, but putting in gas higher then recommend can actually give you worse gas milage if you dont have the ability to make use of it basically wasting your money in two ways

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.