DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to do anything special when I install my new plugs. I dont know much about mechanics but I know from my manual that you dont want to over tighten?

Will I be ok if I just take the old ones out and put in the new NGK's or should I go to a pro?

Do I need to gap em'? I hear that they are pre gapped from the factory now a days. :help:

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
If your not confident get it done professionally. If your a bit handy with tools go for it.
You will need a 3/8 or 1/2 drive ratchet with extension and 5/8 deep spark plug socket and a gap tool(they're cheap). 318s are more prone to knock so most guys go one range colder on the plugs. Autolite 3923s and NGKs the most popular.

Be sure to change them one at a time pulling one plug wire at a time. Dont pull them off by the wire, always pull them at the boot(large part closest to plug). Gap any plug you install, make it .035 on your 318 (think your stock). If you have upgraded wires/brass cap n rotor(.040) hot coil/ignition as well(.045). If you install them you can try to index them, buy 2x the plugs and try to get the gap opening to point up when tight(ideally towards the intake valve ;) ) Just put tape on the socket to mark where the opening is. After you get 8 in just return the ones you dont use.
Do not overtighten them, they only need 30ftlbs. No torque wrench, be somewhat firm, dont reef on them.
Best of luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RM Indy said:
If you install them you can try to index them, buy 2x the plugs and try to get the gap opening to point up when tight(ideally towards the intake valve ;) ) Just put tape on the socket to mark where the opening is. After you get 8 in just return the ones you dont use.
So I should not expect to be able to make them all point up towards the intake and I should take back the ones that wont face up and towards? Thanks a ton for the help by the way!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iridiums? I will check out the 411 page! Thanks sparkplug!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just wanted to make sure they are copper or platinum, and not iridium plugs, as you have to be 10x more careful gapping iridiums. The center electrode snaps easily ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.