Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sonny Perdue signed legislation this past Monday

From 11Alive
The window tinting bill revives a law thrown out last year by the Georgia Supreme Court, which held it was unconstitutionally applied only to Georgia drivers—not out-of-state drivers passing through Georgia. The new law applies to all drivers on Georgia roads.
The law makes it illegal to apply material to car windshields or to the windows to the right and left of the driver which reduce light transmission to less than 32 percent or which increase light reflectance to more than 20 percent.

Violating the law carries misdemeanor penalties.
From The Macon Telegraph

Under a law reborn this week, enforcement officers can now stop drivers with overly tinted windows, according to the Georgia State Patrol.

Drivers can still "dark it out," to some extent. That extent is just defined by law.

Window tinting can't "reduce light transmission through the windshield or window to less than 32 percent, plus or minus 3 percent, or increase light reflectance to more than 20 percent," according to the law, passed this year by the General Assembly and signed by the governor this week.

If that's not clear, well:

"If you think your windows are too dark, ask a trooper or officer," said Trooper 1st Class Larry Schnall, spokesman for the GSP.

"If you've got the dark windows, you're definitely subject to being stopped, anytime, anywhere," Schnall said.

The state patrol plans a grace period and troopers will issue warnings until June 1, Schnall said. After that, over-tinting is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to a $1,000 fine and/or one year in jail.

Many tint shops keep light meters on hand to test windows. At others, tinters said they can pretty much tell by looking at a window whether it's too dark. Good thing, since the law also holds them responsible for over-tinted windows, too.

The new law replaces a similar one thrown out last year by the Georgia Supreme Court because it did not apply to drivers registered outside the state. The new one does. It was written to protect law enforcement officers, who need to be able to see into cars they pull over, Schnall said.

Herb Locher, who owns a tint shop on Mercer University Drive, said he sees no problem with the law.

"What if you were an officer and you pulled over somebody and you can't seem them?" Locher said.

Quinton Braswell, who owns a tint and detail shop on Houston Avenue, said the law is "not right."

"I think people should put whatever they feel they should put on their vehicle," Braswell said. "I don't think they're harming anybody ... that just gives (police) a reason to stop people on the street."

Tinting gives car riders a bit more privacy. It keeps them a little cooler in the sun. Some just like the looks.

"A lot of folks get it just for profilin'," said Kenneth Lee, who details cars at Cassidy's in downtown Macon (and whose own sedan has windows tinted, he said, at 20 percent, just the limit). "Just riding in your car with your nice wheels and your tint."

Trooper Brian Abney, with the GSP's Perry post, said the law will definitely be enforced in Middle Georgia, though not like "speeding or stop lights or DUI."

The law contains exceptions for buses, limousines, law enforcement vehicles and vehicles that came from the factory with tinted windows.

That last exception was put in because, unlike tint jobs applied to the glass later, factory tinting can typically be removed only by replacing the glass, Schnall said. Drivers can also apply for a medical exemption if they need to be shielded from the sun, but it requires a doctor's note.

·
Investigator
992 Posts
:VHOT: :tdwn: :grum: :jmad: :shoot: :banghead: :mad:

i hate this damn law! what's so special about seeing in the front windows of a car? do they (GSP/police) not care if someone is camping in the back seet with a shotgun? what about semi's, cant see in those or lifted trucks for that matter.. why cant they make it law to put your window down when you get pulled over? i just dont want to be pulled over just because they cannot see in my fkg windows.

And what about all of us that got their windows tinted legally when the law was ruled unconstitutional? now, i have illegal windows which means I paid to have legal windows, and could get a ticket cause they reinstate a crap law.

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
You know that I have never heard of a police officer being shot through the side glass of a automobile here in the South. I do understand that it is for safety of the police officer because there are people out there that will kill. But the way it sounds the tint law will basically do away with tint. Tint has to be pretty dark to be any good against the damaging rays of the sun. I know Limo tint is dark to keep people from seeing in altogether, the tint law sounds like the factory tint is all you can have. I have 15% on my truck and had Limo on a previous truck. I haven't got pulled over in the Dodge but if I do I will roll down both windows even if it pouring rain so the officer can see my hands on the steering wheel. I chose 15% this time because of probability of this kind of law coming into effect, but that won't even get by. I hope South Carolina doesn't follow next. I want tint on my windows only to protect the leather seats and the interior. I wish the law makers could understand this. Do they have autos with tint to dark? I bet if they do they won't get fined after they tell the officer who they are!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here in NJ we are not allowed to have anything on our driver or passenger windows, not even clear anti-shatter film! I guess I'm breaking the law (along with a whole lot of othe NJ residents) since I have my windows tinted to match the rest of the factory windows. I figure, if someone is going to shoot a cop, it doesn;t matter if the windows are tinted or not, the criminal will be concealing the gun until the last minute anyway.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, I think it's a dumb law too. I understand the safety reason behind it, but like DurangoLmtd said, just make a law that makes you roll down your windows.

I think the problem is some people take it to extremes. I have 13% on my truck and I think it's fine. I have 5% on one of my cars, and I'll be the first to admit that it's probably a dangerous ride at night (I don't drive it at night), and I have 32% on another car that is pretty much worthless. The one with 32% hardly looks tinted.

See you all in jail!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
The woodstock cops are breaking this law. They have K9 cars with really dark tint [you can't see inside the car]. If one of those dark tint cops tries busting me for dark tint lol...

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Maybe they should ban night driving. I got a ticket about 25 years ago for tint and took it to court. I asked the officer on the stand how dark is too dark. He said if he can't tell the color of my eyes or the color of my hair then my tint is too dark. At that point I looked at the JP and asked if it was legal to drive at night? He looked at me kind of funny and asked why. I asked him if he could tell the color of my hair or eyes if he drove up beside me at night even if I had my windows down. With that the case was thrown out of court :D

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The law contains exceptions for buses, limousines, law enforcement vehicles and vehicles that came from the factory with tinted windows.
They wrote the law for themselves.

It's just a matter of time before it gets brought back to court.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.