DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Spaz
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '89 D150... and all of a sudden this morning started this problem.. starts up fine but starts surging..and almost sputtering.. shaking the whole truck..once the check engine light came on.. the more I run it, the better it seems, but not completely..

at first it would die on its own after a little bit, but just this past time when I went out, it didn't...

can someone offer any advice?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Still doing ok? :gr_patrio

·
Spaz
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, first small issue... distributor cap wasn't sitting right.. apparently hadn't since it was installed (my friend discovered my stepdad had done it wrong) so we replaced all that..

I went on my way home.. truck was okay. Then it started to get sluggish and surging about 45 or so.. settled if I slowed and put it in park. I limped it home, which was aggravating because from a stop the truck would take forever to reach a decent speed. Took it back to Auto Zone.. (luckily enough, an employee there has the same truck as me, same problems) and I suggested getting a fuel filter (stepdad's idea) and the guy said. hold on, lemme look at it again. Discovered that one of my injectors is not working properly, if at all. He also ran over to his truck to make sure how they worked normally. So he suggested I let the SeaFoam I added in the morning work for a few days, as he's done the same and it worked, and if it still is acting up, we'll order an injector.

It's gonna suck so bad to keep driving it, but it's a way to try and clear it. One of my friends was thinking the injector may be clogged due to something the SeaFoam initially kicked up... so i'll just have to leave earlier for work and irritate a whole bunch of people.. :thatfunny

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Hope that takes of it. Its a lot different trying to diagnosis vehicles now than it was 30 or more years ago. LOL :gr_patrio

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Did you look the rotor over good? Just thinkung it could have damaged when the dist. cap wasn't on right. :gr_patrio

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Maybe the guy at Autozone has a "Mechanics' Stethlescope" so you can listen to to the injectors.

Looks like a Doctors' stethlescope only it has a rod on the end that transmits the sound up to your ears.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Good deal !! Glad to hear it wasn't some extreme high dollar problem.
Charlie :gr_patrio

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.