DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I (finally) found the correct sending unit for my '75. I wanted to go more reliable and bought an electric fuel pump (Edelbrock #17301). Got everything hooked up, put about 5 gallons in the tank and then didn't get around to attempting to start the truck until a few weeks ago, after I got some other new parts.

Now, this is fresh gas, freshly cleaned gas tank, new sending unit, new fuel pump. And nothing is coming out. I thought it was odd, put in about another 2 gallons, still nothing. I don't want to put more fuel in there just in case I have to drop it.

What am I missing here? The fuel pump is going the correct way, I put a hose up to it from a gas can to see if it'd suck out fuel from there and did it perfectly. Has to be something with the tank, right?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey Marty, first thought, is the fuel pump lower than the fuel tank? For a while there I had an aeromotive unit that I mounted on the passenger side frame rail closest to lower edge and it worked fine. the stupid thing that I did not do from the get-go was to get a piece of rubber to put between it in the frame rail . It made such a racket and when I finally did put the rubber gasket in there it was so quiet I couldn't even hear it when the truck was running and then as Murphy's law would have it within a few months it died. LOL. So what I did after that was I bought a universal setup from tanksink.com and did an in tank electric fuel pump and man that is sweet no noise it'll last for a lot longer because it's submerged in fuel. No I am running a fast easy EFI throttle body injection setup and I have a plastic tank under the frame I don't know if you're 75 has a metal tank behind the seat..
Screenshot_20201109-103412_Firefox.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Marty, first thought, is the fuel pump lower than the fuel tank? For a while there I had an aeromotive unit that I mounted on the passenger side frame rail closest to lower edge and it worked fine. the stupid thing that I did not do from the get-go was to get a piece of rubber to put between it in the frame rail . It made such a racket and when I finally did put the rubber gasket in there it was so quiet I couldn't even hear it when the truck was running and then as Murphy's law would have it within a few months it died. LOL. So what I did after that was I bought a universal setup from tanksink.com and did an in tank electric fuel pump and man that is sweet no noise it'll last for a lot longer because it's submerged in fuel. No I am running a fast easy EFI throttle body injection setup and I have a plastic tank under the frame I don't know if you're 75 has a metal tank behind the seat..
View attachment 629389

I'm running the plastic tank under the truck bed. I put the fuel pump on the frame rail, which it is about halfway-ish down from the top of the tank (or halfway-ish up from the bottom, however you want to figure that).

That website you linked doesn't work, btw...

I physically cannot put the pump at the bottom of the tank...I'd have a fuel pump hanging close to the ground, haha.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is from Edelbrocks site.

"Determine the ideal mounting location for the fuel pump, a secure
location like the frame is ideal. The fuel pump must be mounted at
or below the lowest point of the fuel tank. The pump must also be
within one foot of the fuel tank as it’s designed to push fuel from the
tank towards the engine."

Are you within the 1 foot range? This would mean that you you would need to have it on the driver side frame rail right next to the tank. Maybe, for a test add a longer piece of hose from the tank to the fuel pump and put it down towards the bottom edge of the frame rail. It will probably be more than 1 foot but you could see if it helps. While your at it before you connect the hose to the tank prime the line with a squirt bottle of gas to fill the hose and pump... Btw I like that setup from Edelbrock it's got its own rubber insulator around the pump so it should be nice and quiet.

I ran mine on the passenger to plumb right into the fuel line but I did have a more robust pump than what you have that probably had more power to pull the fuel since I was running fuel injection.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have it on the passenger frame rail directly across from the tank. It plumbs right into the normal fuel lines that are run. I've got it moreorless in the middle of the frame rail.

I don't have EFI, so I don't think I would need a more powerful pump?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah you dont need a more powerful pump. I think what you need to do is move the pump over to the driver side frame rail down low and as close to 1 foot as possible and then run a hose from the fuel pump to the passenger side frame rail to connect to fuel lines.
Bk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah you dont need a more powerful pump. I think what you need to do is move the pump over to the driver side frame rail down low and as close to 1 foot as possible and then run a hose from the fuel pump to the passenger side frame rail to connect to fuel lines.
Bk

Sounds like that's what my afternoon will be. I'll report back.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bk

Alrighty, I got under the truck and took a look. For me to be right next to the tank, I can mount the fuel pump right at the sending unit, above on the crossmember. My other options are back near the filler inlet, which can be middle of the tank, but its more than a foot away. I potentially can also put in driver frame rail, but I'll have to add a bunch of tubing and drop the tank (because the pump will be enclosed by the tank.)

Seems like the crossmember is where I should put it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Remember , the pump itself has to be lower than the bottom of the gas tank.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remember , the pump itself has to be lower than the bottom of the gas tank.

Right, except that's not possible with this tank. The bottom of the tank is about 4 inches lower than the frame rail. The pump would have to float in the air for that to be possible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Lol, yeah that won't work. I don't quite understand the physics or fluid dynamics as to why the pump needs to be lower but there must be something to it.
Hopefully you'll get this sorted!
Brian

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone else have some thoughts? Should I use a different fuel pump that doesn't require this positioning of at the bottom of the tank? Is there one?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone else have some thoughts? Should I use a different fuel pump that doesn't require this positioning of at the bottom of the tank? Is there one?
I think you’ll find that the rule of thumb is to mount the pump at or below the bottom of the tank for most pump manufacturers. They’re made to push fuel rather than pull.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you’ll find that the rule of thumb is to mount the pump at or below the bottom of the tank for most pump manufacturers. They’re made to push fuel rather than pull.
So I pretty much need to get a different fuel tank or go back to a manual pump, eh?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Unless you really need the electric the mechanical fuel pumps are very reliable. I only went to a electric because I was running a later model 5.9 Magnum motor which doesn't use a mechanical pump.
Brian

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really, I just wanted the ease of use of an electric pump. Guess I need to go pick up a manual pump and get this truck going.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alrighty, so I plumbed the camshaft driven fuel pump. It’s still not pumping any fuel out of the tank. I can’t figure out what I’m missing...everything should be right, now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is the truck new to you? Has the tank been dropped and cleaned, checked the internals for trash, kinks in the lines and the Moines blown out? Seems strange. Has the carb been primed so that it will pull fuel? No just brainstorming ideas....
Brian

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the truck has been in my family since 1975, when my Grandad bought it new. It had the Slant 6 in it, until my cousin blew that engine in 1997. I got it in 2010 and bought a reman 318 and dropped it in. Hasn't run yet because I've been slowly putting pieces together. Last summer I dropped the tank, replaced the sending unit (that took a minute to find the right one...), had the tank cleaned by a radiator/fuel tank shop here in town. Ran new lines (rubber ones, didn't replace any metal ones, but I ran WD-40 through them and then used my air compressor to blow them out), ran wiring for the electric fuel pump. Its got probably about 5-6 gallons in the tank now.

What do I need to do to prime the carb? Just fuel down the throat? Is this a carb issue where its not pulling from the mechanical fuel pump so the mechanical fuel pump isn't pulling from the tank?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts