DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 01 ctd 2500 quad cab 4x4. i put a fass fuel pump on it and a electronic autometer fuel pressure gauge( with the snubber). my pressure is normally 15 and jumps up 18 and back down when idling. when i ham cruising it stays at 15. it was around 30 degrees the other day and i hadn't drivin the truck in several days. the pressure was jumping all around from like 10 to 20. which i haven't seen since i went through the system. dont know if it was because the fuel was cold or there is air in the gauge line? does anyone know where i can get a threaded schrader valve so i can T off where the gauge is so i can easily bleed air out of the system? i was thinking of selling the truck but i think i am just going to run through and finish fixing all the problems throughout the truck and keep it for awhile.

01 2500 ctd quad cab 4x4
fass system and new injection pump
auto meter fuel pressure gauge
on the steering column
jasper trans.

more to come later

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hi Taz,
When your intake heaters go on & off, it draws a ton of your electrical system. Your lights dim and you can hear the hit on the lift pump....mine too.
Does it stop after you get up to 20mph?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CLUNK you seem to be on the ball to help out everybody on dodgetalk. awesome
yeah, once i was going it stayed steady. and once it was at full operating temp. it did it's normal wobble instead of the excessive wobble. went to dodge today to order a new block heater, its on backorder. also tried to get a original fuel sending unit without the pump to aid the FASS system so i can go lower in the tank. cant get it from the dealer. either a junkyard or as luck has it they are doing the retro fit on a truck soon they had the new setup there in the shop. so once they do the retro on that truck they are suppose to call me so i can get the old sending unit they take out of the guys truck. cool because i dont have to find one in a junkyard or pay for it. still trying to find a threaded shrader valve so i can bleed my system.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
A bleeder for the top of the filter housing would be neat.
I wonder if a chrome steel valve stem installed on the lid would work?
Might have to hacksaw some slots on the bottom of the stem to let it get air past the fuel filter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have an 01 and a fass pump.i also had a gauge flux in a real bad way.i use to have a autometer manual gauge.and then went to electric.same problem.then i got a little fitting that goes in line .it helps the spastic movement .still have a movement but its smooth.it has some kind of hard meteral that fuel goes through and calms the movement down.it gets placed in line to sending unit for fuel .i dont know about your heater grid.also how did the fass get its power?when i start up in cold weather my volts drop way down but it doesent effect my fass at all.hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
You might have something on the electricals there duallysmoke. How is your lift pump wired in?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a FASS on my 02.When its down around 30 degrees or lower,my pressure jumps around like that to.I have my fuel pressure reading on my Edge.After the fuel warms up it goes away.

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
I would assume that the FASS system wires like the Airdog which uses a factory connector to plug into the harness that was originally feeding the block mounted lift pump, so it is a separate feed off the ECM directly, that is the switch wire for the included relay which is tied directly via fuse to the main battery and powers the pump. Hopefully voltage spikes would not affect the battery enough to notice a difference, but maybe they do. My heater runs a lot this time of year and I have not noticed any change in fuel pressure, although I can see my lights dim at night when first started up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
fass

wow was i wrong about the set up.the fass is connected to the factory lift pump wires.however i was told it doesent have the power the fass needs.so the relay comes into play.not quite sure on that yet.anyway i was thinking your relay was bad.but i am glad your back on the road.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
like Davcruz said the fass wires right of the battery through a relay controlled by the factory harness to the old block mount pump. just like the dodge retro intank pump is. they ran a feed from the battery through a relay that tied to the same connector. they actually did part of it right. where they screwed up was doing the intank retro instead of just replacing the original block pump with another block pump. both styles went bad on my truck thats why i opted for the FASS plus the fact there is 5 extra years of warranty doing the FASS. i have that fitting on my sending unit. autometer calls it a snubberm and they say if you dont want to void the gauges warranty on the dodge cummins you have to use the snubber. i will check at like pepboys and see if they have threaded valve stems, so i can just T of buy the gauge sending unit since it is the high point of the system. if you look in my gallery you will see a picture of the sending unit, the hex shaped fitting between the wire tie and the sending unit is the snubber, and on the firewall behind them you will see dodges retro pump relay and then the FASS relay right next to it.

01 2500 ctd quad cab 4x4
fass system and new injection pump
auto meter fuel pressure gauge
on the steering column
jasper trans.

more to come later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.