DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 Grand Caravan and have now had to put in 7 fuel pumps in it. Lucky for me I got one with a lifetime warranty. How ever last Saturday another one failed so I swapped it out. Then the fuel gauge didn't work so I took it back out cleaned the tank out and put it all back in. Still didn't work so I swapped it again. The gauge worked for a bit that nite. Got up to go to work and it doesn't work again. If you shut the van off then back on it goes up then goes back down. Think I may have to take it back out for a 6th time in less than 3 days. Man what a pain.:mad:

·
Registered
195 Posts
According to an auto mechanics coarse i took once, they said if you replace the fuel pump 8 times in 4 days it is probably something else. So maybe try replacing it one more time and then if it does not work look else ware. An obvious check would be power and ground connections. Did you look in the connector to the fuel pump for corrosion, or is there any obvious damage to the wires. Also the power is from the ASD relay, it may be getting dirty or worn out cutting down on voltage to the pump. I do not know were the ground connection is but hopefully someone will chime in.

I have a 90 and 92 grand caravan and the relay setups for them are different. I will post a picture of the setup for the 90 van, hopefully it is the same as yours. I also tried to get at my fuel pump wires on the 90 van and look at power and ground. But i could not find a schematic for the fuel pump and could not identify the wire colors. My relays in the 90 van were all corroded to the sockets, trying to unplug them ruined both the relay and the socket. Try hitting yours with PB blaster or WD40 and wiggle them a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm fairly sure its the aftermarket fuel pumps. The problem right now is the sending unit. The van runs I just don't know how much fuel is in it. I didn't have this issue til I swapped my pump. Good thing it is lifetimed. LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its the 3.3L and its not the pump side of it. The sending unit won't operate the gauge. The van runs and drives just don't know how much gas is in it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have had my gas tank out and worked on the fuel pump for the 90 and 92 caravan, both with 3.3L engines. If i remember right the 1990 caravan has a separate fuel gage sending unit in the gas tank. The 1992 fuel pump has a fuel height sending unit on its assembly. The 1992 fuel pump had to be carefully put in the gas tank with the floats in the correct position for the fuel height sender unit to operate properly. I never took the fuel height sender unit out of the 1990 van.

What type of unit do you have. I have pictures of the 1992 but not the 1990.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sending unit is on the side of the pump. I am going to swap the whole unit this weekend again. Its such a pain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.