DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an Isspro fuel pres gauge for about a year now. Just recently I started hearing a noise coming from it and it has gotten louder to the point where it is annoying. It sounds like a ticking noise and is loudest at higher pressure (idling). As I hit the gas and the gauge drops it fades away. I'm wondering if my isolator diaphram has ripped because I checked the antifreeeze in the tubing at the gauge and it had dropped some and the antifreeze looked kind of dirty (possible diesel in it?). i tried toppping it off but no help. I'm also seeing more fluttering in the gauge at idle than I used to. Any input fellas??? Thanks.

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Man, best thing I can say is try a diffenent guage. Get another and hook it up and see if its doing it still. Fuel in antifreeze is a first for me though.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Gauge kits with an isolator has a diaphram that has your fuel line on one side then antifreeze on the other side going to your gauge. If the gauge springs a leak, all you get is a few drips of antifreeze in the cab instead of fuel.

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
WHy would you run a guage with an isolator? Why not just run it straight to the filter housing or to the inlet line on the pump?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHy would you run a guage with an isolator? Why not just run it straight to the filter housing or to the inlet line on the pump?
Clunk explained it well. The diesel I was referring to is not in my cooling system but just in the tubing to my gauge. I'm thinking that the diaphram might have a hole in it. I wonder if the WVO I've been running has hardened or eaten the diaphram. I'll try to find time this weekend to check it out. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
If there's no snubber or needle valve, the pump pulses will make the needle a blur & beat the gauge to death.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
The isolator's I've seen have no damping capabilities. Thyey transfer the pressure signal real good. They're required on fuel pressure gauges inside the car on NHRA race cars.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I haven't had a chance to mess with my gauge yet because my wife just had ACL surgery and she's very "needy" at the moment but I did manage to sneak out to change my overdue oil. I also changed my fuel filter and the truck sat for 2 days. This morning when I drove to work there was no noise??? The pressures are about the same before and after so what did the filter change have to do with it?
Originally Posted by Clunk
If there's no snubber or needle valve, the pump pulses will make the needle a blur & beat the gauge to death.
I did notice that the louder the noise the more vibration in the needle. But I never had any vinbration until recently. Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just thinking... Maybe since I drained the fuel filter housing the fuel in the line to the isolator drained back and now there is air in the line which is acting as a cushion. There is a bleed screw on the isolator that I used when installed it to remove the air. I really need to inspect the isolator, just haven't had time. I'll post when I get around to checking it.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Just thinking... Maybe since I drained the fuel filter housing the fuel in the line to the isolator drained back and now there is air in the line which is acting as a cushion. ...QUOTE]

Stranger things have happened...you might have something there.
Best wishes to Mrs Regans5.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got it resolved. The snubber fixed it. I called Isspro and talked to a tech and he said that I should have had one on there from the beginning and that the pulses from the injector pump caused the gauge to loosen up over time. The only thing I don't like is the gauge is slower to react to pressure changes. Thanks for everyones help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Getting back to the Fuel Press. Gauge. What do you run. 0-15, 0-60, 0-100
gauge. What does toe 95gphFass put out for pressure?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
0-30 psi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Clunk.
I also need a new lift pump. Should I just get a standard 95 Fass or spring for the one with the filters? Not doing anything with the truck like towing or racing. btw it's an 02 2500 standard HP.
thanks again for the quick reply.
wsky rnr

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I don't know much about the FASS pumps but my 4601HP Carter has been in service on the frame rail 5 years inna week.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 0-30 psi and a BD frame mounted pump. Works great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.