DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 HO Cummins with 28K miles had excessive engine knocking when the truck was put in to drive/reverse from neutral or park. The dealer has ordered a new fuel injector. Has anyone else had this problem? Thank goodness I'm still under warranty.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You are covered 4 100 k ... it's under Cumming warrantie . I heard of injector going bad , They get stock or clogged , I think is haze to do whit fuel ,you use any particular fuel station? Switch them ...That's my experience whit a 300 TD Merc. I use fill up at the same gas station and I end up changing the injectors in 6 months.
Good luck

·
Registered
84 Posts
Better hope and pray that no one has to replace injectors in an 04 or 05. The injectors are in the thousands. I got my 04 used with 7000 miles on it. Had it for 2 weeks, someone put about a gallon of water in the tank one night. Between the tow, the cleaning of the tank and the injectors, it was about $5200.00. Thank god for comprehensive coverage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They replaced one of the injectors (for free as its still under 3/36) and that fixed the noise. They claimed it had a carbon buildup due to excessive idiling. They said the engine had idled for 300 of its 900 hours. I do a lot of city, stop n go driving, but 1/3 is not from idle. They also reccomended I use a fuel tank cleaner.

·
Registered
129 Posts
the idleing to much is their common response on the injectors.they have a problem and know it.the duramax guys have had this going on forever,and now that the cummins is common rail and uses the same cp-3 pump and injectors,its the same thing.imo,the fuel is just to dirty,causing these problems.the stock dura`s dont filter down to as few microns as the cummins system,and their problems seem to be a little worse on thier earlier models.as for the cummins warranty,there is none.dodge buys the motors without any warranty from cummins.the warranty is strictly dodge.and they do have a clause about not covering damage due to contaminated fuel or water in fuel.................bama

·
Registered
63 Posts
How they can prof that the fuel was contaminated ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
The injectors are lubricated by the fuel. When they looked at them they were siezed with rust. Then they dropped the tank and found water in the tank.

·
Registered
63 Posts
4 AGGIEZ28
My truck is at the dealer whit the same problem you had , After one week stiil no words of what is going to be the route they thaken . I think they don't have diesel experiance and they BS me .
Can you plese give your tel. no. so I can ask you few questions . Pelase email me at [email protected]
thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.