DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
on top of tank, it all comes out as a whole unit. the filter is like a sock. if your gonna go through all that, you might as well change out the whole thing. hardest thing is dropping the tank. but not that hard to do overall

·
19 Posts
Does a '97 have the same issues... By having to drop the tank? Also what all do you mean by replacing the "whole thing" Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
yes i changed mine and you have to drop the tank first. make sure to run it almost out of gas or get a siphen to make it easy to work with. also make sure to get all the connections disconnected from the top of the pump. you can find a whole new pump for cheap on e-bay, thats where i got mine.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
yes 97, same way. either drop the tank or remove the bed. the fuel pump,filter,sending unit is all 1 piece. and with a truck 8 + yrs old you might as well replace the whole unit with a new one being you are going through the trouble of removeing the tank. its not required but it only makes sense. drop the tank w/ a floor jack, that way you can lower it just enough to mark the connections unhook them and pull the tank out. its really not that bad of a task. just take your time,and use up as much gas as you can.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You might also want to carefully inspect the steel brake lines that run along the frame rail that is blocked by the tank, when you have the tank dropped.

These 2nd gen rams are known for that brake line to severly rust and burst suddenly. If it looks suspect at all, I'd replace that too while your in there.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
You might also want to carefully inspect the steel brake lines that run along the frame rail that is blocked by the tank, when you have the tank dropped.

These 2nd gen rams are known for that brake line to severly rust and burst suddenly. If it looks suspect at all, I'd replace that too while your in there.

Just my .02
x2 very good point.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just curious as to why you're replacing the fuel filter. Get some contaminants in there? Asking because the only filter is connected to the fuel pump and its just a simple sock type. No need to replace it unless you suspect something has gotten in there.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just curious as to why you're replacing the fuel filter. Get some contaminants in there? Asking because the only filter is connected to the fuel pump and its just a simple sock type. No need to replace it unless you suspect something has gotten in there.

This was my understanding as well, no real fuel "filter" in these trucks, except the "sock" that is attached to the fuel pump. I don't plan on touching mine, unless I need to drop the tank to repair the steel brake line (looks rusty). If I need to do that, I will replace the pump while I am in there, since I suspect it's original and the truck has almost 148K on the ODO.

·
19 Posts
I have no real reason to change my filter, I just got the '97 and researching what all I can do vs. taking it in. I prolly won't mees with the fuel filter then since I don't have any issues with it.

·
Lardog
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My trk. is not running all that well. Just thought I would start by replacing the fuel filter. It runs like it's a fuel problem. Around 55 60 the rpms jump back and fourth from 1700 to 2000 and back down and up.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Start with the basics plugs, wires cap and rotor. Make sure your throttle body is clean, see a lot of these trucks coming in with running issues or wont idle and the throttle body is just caked in carbon. If your rpms are jumping could be your TPS(Throttle position sensor) I doubt its the fuel filter.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Another plus for inspecting the metal brake lines over tank. One of mine was shot and I found out the hard way. Was on the freeway and hit the brakes while going on the off ramp and the brake pedal was to the floor. The next day I saw brake fluid leaking from top of the gas tank. Sure enough the hose had busted open. But what do you expect for 160k. As far as the fuel filter I would wait until you see somthing out of the norm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.