Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

Question 1:

I am in need of some expertise. I have a 2001 Grand Caravan Sport. It has the 3.3 V6 Flex engine. From what I have read on this forum it would appear the fuel filter is above the gas tank. I have to lower the gas tank down a bit to get to it right? Is the gas going to be spraying all over? I changed one on my car and it was not bad at all.

Question 2:

I bought new spark plugs and cables and I opened the hood an realized that 3 are accessible in the front, but the other three are on the backside of the motor. It looks like I have to take half the engine apart to get to them. Can someone offer some advice please?

Thanks!
Shannon :gr_patrio

·
Registered
984 Posts
Sharon,

Answer 1:

Go ahead and lower your tank. Make sure you disconnect (and perhaps remove elsewhere) the battery, open the gas cap, and keep a rag or two handy to catch gas dribbles when you open the line. Even at full pressurization, fuel is at a very low pressure, not enough to spray anything, really. Letting it sit for a while with the battery disconnected should relieve pressure anyhow.

And drive the thing around until you're almost out of gas. You don't want to try to lower a full tank since it will weigh about 150 pounds.

Answer 2:

On my 3.8 (same engine) I put the front three spark plugs and wires in myself, and pay a mechanic $50 or $60 to put in the rears. I have yet to hear of a shadetree mechanic who was able to install them without removing the intake plenum. I tried for years and never succeeded myself, and that included trying to come up from underneath.

Good Luck.

Rick

·
Registered
67 Posts
Shannon first when your changing your fuel filter make sure that the vehicle is cold...there will be a good bit of pressure in the fuel lines if it has been run recently...you do not I repeat do not have to take the straps all the way off just loosen the strap bolts and of course have a jack with a block of wood centered as best you can under the tank...the tank does not have to be lowered very much to remove the filter....there is a 10 mm bolt that holds the filter to the tank if you are using air tools DONT use the air tool on the 10mm bolt you do not want to create a spark with raw fuel present....as for your rear spark plugs they are accessable from underneath the van it isn't easy but you can change them from underneath hope this helps

Lloyd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.