DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know alot of guys are getting rid of thier trucks cus of these obscene gas prices, i said no F-ing way im ditching the Ram, especially for some little tin can, so i decided to start a thread about what people are doing to jack up the mpg's in thier trucks and suv's. i figured we can all use this thread to benifit each other in getting the best possible mpgs out of our rigs
so guys and gals... what have u done?

so far i have done the airram scoop, magnaflow muffler and royal purple (all in signature) and gas went from 13.5 c/ 15.5 hwy to 15c/ 19 hwy

give us some input and lets see where this takes us!

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
the best way i have found to improve fuel economy is to let my wife drive the truck. because she is really easy on the throttle. i drive it at WOT all the time so we probably save 3-5 MPG by letting her drive lol. but seriously.

a big one is how hard you mash the throttle. if you can ease into it and coast as much as possable you will see a gain. also tire pressure keep them full. change your air filter, spark plugs, and wires. change all fluids in your truck, ect. bassically keep it in the best running condition you can and be easy on the gas.

or the other option.....WHO CARES!!! we cant control gas prices and we drive trucks. if i want fuel ecnomy ill drive a civic. (witch i do durring the week) i see what your talking about though, on the fuel economy. and why your wanting to save gas. but its getting really old.

everyone who is selling off there trucks, really only got it because they were into the image of a truck. those that use it will never get rid of it. and will just bite the bullet and pay ~$100 a tank.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
I might read the 4.7 Engine Performance Thread. It’s a very long thread and tons of reading. Most of the information is performance based but there is information that would be helpful for those who are looking for better fuel mileage.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146098

·
Registered
660 Posts
WOT is not seen in my truck.

i do not try to race any one, that is what the wife sports car is for! ;)

i dont race people to the next stop light, i have learned that i will pass them eventually ( what a great feeling that is :thatfunny )

accelerate slowly and if some one is on my a$$ i go even slower! :D

·
Brian
796 Posts
how much does the AIR SCOOP actually help? I'm really thinking about getting one for mine.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
The 1000 or so miles my truck seen over the last couple of tanks have equalled out to about 15.2-16 MPG's, I have the ocassional unleaded foot, but typically drive w/ light throttle and take off's, I've noticed if I keep my rpm's below 2000 at any time I get the best mileage ~19-21, once you get above 2000 (75 MPH in OD or from takeoff) I get down to 13-14 mpg's. I have no engine or trans mods and I have the 3.55 rear end.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Cruise control on the highway also helps, as does keeping it ~2000RPMs as much as possible. For my truck, that's about 71mph.

I try not to drive mine around town much - I use my Grand Cherokee 5-speed for that. It's not MUCH more fuel efficient, but still probably gets around 20 in town. Better than the Rams 13-15mpg in the city. I got the Ram for rafting, ski trips and camping trips anyway, so alot of my driving with it is on the highway.

I was just getting my first oil change yesterday, talking with my longtime mechanic who's worked on at least 6 of my cars. I told him I'm averaging 18-19 on my raft trips, almost all highway. He was surprised, says that's great, I should be happy with that. I'm inclined to agree.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
def get the scoop, it redirects the air your trucks already getting to your airbox, its done good for me, i would buy one from someone here tho, 50 is pricey, but it is worth it

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey 03ram it,
i have no issue at all here, im doing this thread to help people who would like to save fuel ok? i need a truck, i also drive 600 miles a week, so the extra 2-3 mpg, in my case will end up saving alot of money
sorry if this is "getting old" to u, but im doing this to benifit others and myself for those who drive long distance,
what gets old to me is those tundra threads
you are right about the whole truck thing, but for some of us, it would be cool to hear what others have done, cus there are mods that help
so all i ask is positive input man, thats all

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
El_Greko87 said:
hey 03ram it,
i have no issue at all here, im doing this thread to help people who would like to save fuel ok? i need a truck, i also drive 600 miles a week, so the extra 2-3 mpg, in my case will end up saving alot of money
sorry if this is "getting old" to u, but im doing this to benifit others and myself for those who drive long distance,
what gets old to me is those tundra threads
you are right about the whole truck thing, but for some of us, it would be cool to hear what others have done, cus there are mods that help
so all i ask is positive input man, thats all
hey man i feel your pain trust me i do and i did attempt to give you a fair and reasonable input. and then i added my thoughts on the end. that is all. and you are correct my wife loggs about 300-350 per week i tack up another 100-150 or so on the weekends. and still drive my car all week long. (150-200 miles) im usually arround 45-55 gallons of gas a week. feel free to do the math on that one. so i feel your pain. but no matter what its still a truck if i was getting 2-3 more MPG i would probably only save $10-15 a week not really woth worrying about to me.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i hear ya man, i must have just misunderstood ya, my bad
but yea, thanks for the input tho, opinions are always welcome haha!

·
what's your left leg doin
2,288 Posts
Power-wire
IAT relocation
intake insulation
e-fan
MANUAL TRANSMISSION!
^^^that one will get El_Greko87 going.... :D

Hey man you still here in NH? Or back in ME?

I have to agree with 03ramit1....I have gotten tired of fretting about MPG.
Takes all the fun out of driving.......

But if I drove 600 mi a week.......LOL.....I hear that too!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Truck kept in good tune (plugs, air filter, PM, etc.)
Proper air pressure maintained at all times
Easy driving habits(light on the gas, coasting to the red-light, not braking hard, etc.)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha hey andy, im i know i wish i had a 6 speed so bad! haha brings a tear to my everytime i see a trx4 on the road!
im in NH this week, but not sure where ill be after this weekend, i miht be starting a new job in maine real soon

·
Registered
97 Posts
The 2000 RPM rule has worked the best for me. That seems to be worth 1.5-2.5 MPG on the highway.

I try to drive like I don't have brakes. Hard braking just dissipates the energy that the engine produced.

89 octane in town is worth maybe 1 to 1+ MPG so it's cheaper by the mile, even though it's more expensive by the gallon.

Tire pressure. In the owners booklet that came with your truck is a folded pamphlet about tires. 17" and 20" for the 05's show the same 35 PSI with an asterisk for QC. Quad cabs add 5 PSI.

Aerodynamics play the biggest role in my opinion. A big air dam would help, but would look funny on a 4x4. A lot of fast cars have underbody pans to reduce drag. I don’t know that that would help that much when you are a foot in the air, so I want to experiment with vortex generators strategically placed under the vehicle.

The SRT -10’s have panels that block off a major portion of the grill reducing drag, tail gate spoilers may help and removing the bug deflector may help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.