DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying a 02/03 D soon. Is there a big difference in fuel economy between the 4.7 and 5.9? I know there will be a difference, but is it BIG or just moderate? I'm looking for more towing capacity but I want to know if its going to cost me a lot in fuel economy.

Thanks,
d

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
well, it's 95% how you drive it. I can get 18 /19 MPG driving all highway @ 62 MPH or less with some trailing behind a semi, but if i mix it up, or drive faster, I'll get 15.5 or worse.

If you're getting it for towing, well depending on the weight of what you're towing, you can't really worry about gas mileage if you're towing 5 or 6000 pounds. You'll be getting like 8 or 10 MPG or worse lugging around 6000 lbs of whatever.

I think the difference is about 2-3 MPG on average. Though, with our engines, that ends up being about 15%

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cost will definitely be a factor since you will most likely need to run the Hight Octane Fuels. I've got the 4.7L and don't tow, yet anyway. Do moderate trips and have gotten 23mpg on the way up to Anacortes, WA in a torrential rain storm.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It is going to cost alot no matter what engine you get when you have a v8. I have the 5.9, it takes regular and I get any where from a low of 11mpg to about 15mpg depending on season and my driving style. Right now I am averaging around 14-15mpg, that is using no air conditioning and driving highway at 70-80mph. If I drive slower then I get better mileage. IMO, if you are going to be towing, get the bigger engine.

·
Banned
45 Posts
I'd probably go with the larger engine if I had it to do over again. Even though the HP and torque numbers are pretty close, the 5.9 has a good bit more towing capacity - especially with the 3.92's.

I towed a single axle 8 unit canoe trailer (only 4 canoes), luggage for 12+ people, and 6 - 7 guys (including myself) on a 300 mile trip and averaged 9.3 mpg. I had to hold it wide open up the hills and still lost speed on some of them - the computer was reading 3 mpg. I badly wanted some extra power.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
well, if you want more towing capacity than the 4.7L, get a Gen2 with the Hemi. (my $.02)

If I had it to do over again and couldn't get a Ram with the Cummins in it, I would get the 4.7 again. There are just way too many people having trans problems with the 5.9/5.2L engines to suit me. The 4.7L+545/45RFE have proven to be highly reliable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.