DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· ReBeL
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made an earlier post about my durango having problems with the idle. I took it to a mechanic to check it out.

The mechanic said that there are like 12 sensors that are acting up, including the TPS, IAC, O2, and among many others he also said the engine temp. He showed me the screen and all of the sensors are either open and then a split second later they are closed. The temp sensor reads like 205, then drops to -41, then back up again. He also told me that it pulls an EVAP code and then it disappears and then comes up later again. The last two weeks have been frustrating trying to get this thing to work.

Today, it actually died at a stoplight and it took four tries just to get it started. I had to keep my foot on the pedal to keep it from dying. And to top it all off, I ran over a thick plastic bag, while trying to avoid it on the freeway, the bag got caught in my driveshaft (had to stop and cut it loose). A couple minutes later I notice the D smoking, only to find out I am leaking fluid where the driveshaft and axle connect. It's now in the shop being repaired and I have to wait another week for my appointment at the dealership to hopefully fix my other problems.

Anyway, is it possible that the reason why my sensors are all screwed is because the ecm is fried or needs to be replaced? That's what the mechanic believes to be the problem, but unfortunately he said that the dealer needs to take a look at it to confirm it's the ecm. Anyone know how much it might cost? These repairs are getting expensive.

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
I've changed all those sensors and haven't had a problem since. TPS, IAC, crankshaft sensor, speed, rear wheel speed sensor.

· ReBeL
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I changed the TPS and IAC, and those were one of the 12 that were acting up. It seems as if it's not the sensors that need replacing....

· Registered
3,712 Posts
First, are you getting codes indicating all of those sensors are bad? They should trip codes. You can check the codes yourself by cycling the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON Any codes will show on the odometer. If you are sure, it is the PCM, you can get a Mopar PCM for less than a stock one.

· ReBeL
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the check engine light was on it was not pulling any codes. Is the ECM the same as the PCM?

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
bigjosh said:
Yeah, I changed the TPS and IAC, and those were one of the 12 that were acting up. It seems as if it's not the sensors that need replacing....
With mine it seemed like one right after another. So if you don't detect it and change it right away they can add up quick. I'm on 90K with my D.

· Registered
3,712 Posts
On different vehicles it is called different things. On these the main computer is called the Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

· Registered
1,925 Posts
Theres an 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty on emissions parts like the PCM-- check that out before you spend any money to fix it.

· Certifiable User
279 Posts
I just can't imagine 12 sensors failing at the same time. Sounds to me like a PCm or a grounding problem. I would check the grounds before letting someone else mess with it. An easy way is to get a couple jumper wires and attach them to the neg side of battery, engine, body and frame. shouldnt cost much especially if you have some alligator clips and wire laying around. Probably a red herring but if your out of the 8/80 it's much cheaper to repair a ground than to replace the pcm and be right back where you started.

· ReBeL
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neil F. said:
On different vehicles it is called different things. On these the main computer is called the Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Oh well, when my D was in the shop (Goodyear) to fix the axle leakage they said they could fix the engine problems so they gave me an estimate and said they needed to fix the ECM and I asked if it's the same as the PCM and they told me no. So I didn't get the chance to tell them to put in the mopar pcm because when I went to pick it up today I noticed a package with a pcm warranty card and the old pcm. If I had known they were both the same I would have told them otherwise. That's okay...It's nice to have the D back up and running, although it feels a bit sluggish in the lower rpm's, is that because of the 100+ temp outside and the engine fan's running?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.