DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I still have my 09 Ram Crew 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4 SLT Bighorn 3.92 rear end. I'm looking at travel trailers and I'm getting frustrated with RAMs stated towing capacity.

The 2009 is rated at 7400 lbs towing while the 2010 model year identical truck is rated 9900 lbs.

The 2009 and 2010 model year trucks are identical so I'm confused on the different tow ratings. Both have the same GVWR, Payload, Base weight, GAWR for front and rear.

Anyone know what the difference may be that increases the towing rating by over 2K lbs on the 2010 model year?

I'm annoyed :WHT:

Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So from what I can gather, GCWR is a number that is made up by the manufacturer and there is no standard of measure.

After reading a few older articles I found a Chrysler representative stated they stayed with old model towing numbers for the 2009 model because of the market demand not requiring them to reevaluate. So even though they completely redesigned the truck they kept the old numbers. Sounds to me they were just lazy and didn't want to do the paperwork but in 2010 they did update the towing capacity.

Its frustrating these manufacturers can not hold to a simple uniform standard when it comes to these numbers. All because they want to market the "Highest Payload" or "Best in class towing.

I'm going with the idea that even though my truck is rated at 7400 lbs, that number is understated. Now I don't plan to surpass it anyway, but if my load is maxing out around 6800 lbs or so. I'll be comfortable knowing there is actually more than 600 lbs of true capacity left.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.