DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a rubbing in the drivers side front of my 99 Dakota (2WD, 5.2L)and thought I needed brakes. I quickly realized I had a bearing problem and purchased a front hub assembly at Advance Auto Parts for 83 bucks. But no one seems to carry the spindle nut, which is stamped "do not re-use", so I reused the old one. Now, I have a fair amount of noise that comes and goes from the same area. I used high temp grease on the spindle before I re-installed, and installed new rotors and pads. If it weren't for the fact the bearing is sealed, I would think I forgot to pack the bearings.

I've checked to see if anything is rubbing, the new rotor has no apparent unusual wear, nothing else seems out of the ordinary and am hoping someone can tell me what I've done wrong or what I can do to resolve the noise.

PMSteve

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a similar problem. I had a slight rubbing sound that got REALLY bad. Turned into an angry grinding noise that increased with speed. I brought it to a shop, confirmed my bearing(s) were bad. He also recommended I change the stock balljoints, upper and lower, and idler arms.

I did the work and I still have the slight rubbing sound. It isn't clunking around or grinding, but it still sounds almost like rubber rubbing. And no, my tires don't rub... lol

I have no pedal left so brakes are next. Let's see if that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.