DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened to me before.
I replaced the front struts with new ones of course and now I get a rattle.
It is most notable at low speed over small bumps in the road. They don't even have to be bumps, just ripples in the road cause it.

The old struts didn't make any noise at all, just old and needed to be replaced.
All parts have been checked for tightness and clearance.

Now as I said, this has happened to me before. Changing brands cured the problem last time but I bought the same brand this time and now they rattle.

I'm thinking of going with KYB struts but I hate to keep swapping parts until the noise disappears. I'm getting to old for this kind of stuff.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?
Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The sway bar links and bushings can feel tight and still be worn enough to start causing noise. They're a heap of normal wear components that also wear pretty easy in Caravans. Remove the sway bar links and see if the noise goes away on a test drive. While the links are out, try twisting the sway bar and then sliding it back and forth through the bushings. If it doesn't feel like the bushings are trying to hold the sway bar in place at all, it's probably time to change them. If it's time for the bushings to go, get plain black rubber bushings. The blue poly-whatever bushings tend to live short lives before they start making the same noise all over again. Considering you've replaced the struts, double check nuts and bolts, too. Snug them up a little more just to cover the bases.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi no_common_sense

I've had to do a little at a time due to cost. I have replaced the sway bar bushings with MOOG bushings. I have replaced the sway bar to strut links.
I have replaced the lower control arms, bushings and ball joints as a unit and the tie rod ends are tight. All of this was done this last year.
The noise only started after replacing the struts which were the last thing I did. I verified that the top mounts were correctly seated and it's getting harder for an old man to do this kind of work so I don't want to keep replacing them.
Oh, BTW I used quick struts, factory assembled.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been rebuilding the suspension a little at a time because of cost but I didn't want to put out $300.00 for new struts if I couldn't get the transmission fixed.

The struts are the last thing I needed to get replaced hopefully.

It's going to the alignment shop this morning so I'll wait and see what they say.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've seen my share of new struts that were worse than the old ones by reason of being noisy pieces of shit. The last thing I could think to do in your case is to reinstall the old struts and see if you get rid of the noise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, I just got back from the alignment shop, they said everything was good and nothing was loose, they also remarked that it was the new strut making the noise.

So, now my only choices are to put up with the rattle or maybe buy a KWB strut and take this one back for a refund but then I will have to have the camber rechecked and set. Or maybe set it myself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just took the van out and drove over some rough patched roads, not holes, just roughly patched blacktop and to tell you the truth I'm not convinced it's the struts. I drove slowly, like 3-5 mph and whatever it is it rattled something fierce but it is coming from the left side near but maybe not in the wheel well area.
I'm thinking maybe the drive axle component?
Needs more investigation because it's really disturbing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been raining all day but should be dry tomorrow and I'll jack up the wheel by the lower control arm so the strut is loaded and then I'll put a steel bar under the tire and shake it to see if I can make it rattle and maybe I can find the source of the rattle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FOUND IT !!!!! All is well now.

Turns out it was the fat coil spring was tapping the inside of the wheel well.
The new KYB (which BTW came today 4 days early) has thinner coil profile and leaves plenty of room around it.

I used my new tool that I mentioned and reset the camber to the original setting and it drives perfect.

Now, I hope this helps someone else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts