DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
you could use the outer knuckles from the 97. if the ball joints are all 4 the same. use the 97 wheel bearings and break calipers. then you wouldnt need to adapt the break lines for the newer calipers.
use the 01 housing, guts and shafts! just i dont know why you would want to retro the 01 pitman arm! arent you doing the 99 1 ton cross over steering?
as always when doing a year to year mod theres those little things that really knag the install. you will need to work around the control arm bolts and sway bar end links.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
you could use the outer knuckles from the 97. if the ball joints are all 4 the same. use the 97 wheel bearings and break calipers. then you wouldnt need to adapt the break lines for the newer calipers.
use the 01 housing, guts and shafts! just i dont know why you would want to retro the 01 pitman arm! arent you doing the 99 1 ton cross over steering?
as always when doing a year to year mod theres those little things that really knag the install. you will need to work around the control arm bolts and sway bar end links.
I am but that wont be till later this year. Im getting all of his hardware too. From my understanding of it ill just have to drill the hole bigger for the bolts for the control arms. I think they used bigger ball joints in 01. Down here i cant find a 97 front axle for cheap down here. This is the cheapest one i can afford for now. Im going to buy a new pitman arm bc he dont have his. Do u know what the actual difference is in the pitman arm?

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
larger taper for the drag link joint on the pitman. you really dont need if if the top of the original drag link isnt bad. both ends 01 and 97 are the same length and have the same threads for the adjuster sleave, just the taper for the pitman is larger for the 01. use the old joint and the old pitman. i still would keep the 97 pit regardless, cause the best linkage "99 1 ton" will use the pitman you got.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok thats what ill do then. This is my first axle swap since i was 11 lol and my dad did most of the work on that one. I really appreciate your help on this. But just to be clear keep my drag link joint and my pitman arm change everything else bc when i do get the "99 1 ton upgrade" my pitman arm will be used with that.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
i just went through rockauto and compared the ball joints. the two years do not share the same joints. you may need to resize the sockets. a machine shop can do it!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well i got the axle today he gave me the coils and everything. I got his sway bar and control arms. He actually disconected the brake lines and gave them to me too. He was a great guy. Btw spun i got a set of 99 mirrors off of him that are electic and defrost. I have electric but not defrost in my truck. The plugs are different, do you know how to splice the wires to make it work with my plug off my old mirrors? I post pics of the plugs. The three plug is my old mirrors and the 5 plug is the new mirrors.

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey spun. I got a question. Is there a difference in gears between a 1997 and 2001? I ask bc when i order gears do i tell them a 2001 front and 1997 rear? Right now they both have 3.55 and you say go to 4.56 for 35s? I was gonna go 4.10 but you know more then i do lol

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
from year to year i think the only change was the tone ring for the abs. the 96 and older had a trans sensor for the abs. the 97 up had a tone ring on the rear axle. better order buy the year.
as gears go. i had 285s on and i still wanted to go bigger from 3.92.. when the time comes and soon, my seals leak, i will be going 4.10s with an aftermarket carrier and 265 tires. the gear is nice to have! 4.56 sound like a big gear, it isnt. 4.56 gears and 285 tires are still an acceptable combo.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
from year to year i think the only change was the tone ring for the abs. the 96 and older had a trans sensor for the abs. the 97 up had a tone ring on the rear axle. better order buy the year.
as gears go. i had 285s on and i still wanted to go bigger from 3.92.. when the time comes and soon, my seals leak, i will be going 4.10s with an aftermarket carrier and 265 tires. the gear is nice to have! 4.56 sound like a big gear, it isnt. 4.56 gears and 285 tires are still an acceptable combo.
Ok that sounds like a good plan. I guess 4.56 it is lol. Wat is the carrier. Im wanting to learn about gears. Im going to pay a shop to install them but i want to learn everything i can and wat to get. Will 4.56 fit in my diff without modifications?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.