DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was Driving around yesterday when I started hearing a Whining/ringing noise from the front end. I jacked it up and the wheel bearings seem to be tight good, though the right wheel turns a bit harder than the left, while it was up, I checked the ball joints, the lowers are shot, but uppers seem good, Also both of my axle tube seals are leaking, which it never did before since the diff probably wasn't full when I serviced it :VHOT: , sooo, is it possible to do these lower ball joint without a press? Can I heat em up and hammer em out? Will NAPA have a Ball Joint press I can rent? Also as far as the ringing sound, I figure I'll have to dissassemble the front end and check the axle brg's when I do the Axle seals.

Thanks CC

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
You can rent a ball joint press at Auto Zone (possibly Napa too). Thats what I did for mine and it was a very simple (yet time consuming) job. Take my advice though, replace the upper ball joints while you have everything apart. Chances are that they are worn, and its worth it to spend the extra little cash and replace them while you have the spindle out and everything.

Oh and CV joints are a good thing to check while you're under there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry, I didn't notice you had replied, Ive done a whole bunch of kingpins on big trucks, but never ball joints, I plan on doing this while I do my front axle. The Uppers and Lowers are shot, also gonna do control arm bushings and possibly hubs. The CV axles are good, but the axle seals in the front diff are leakin bad. The Rear end has a hum, but thats my reason for 4.10's and a trac-loc. :rck:

Thanks, CC

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Don't use cheap ball joints or you'll be doin them again soon. Get the premium quality ones like Moog, NAPA, TRW or McQuay Norris. :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You Bet! :gr_patrio

·
Registered
198 Posts
You can get a ball joint press at NAPA or AutoZone for free, you just have to leave a deposit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.