DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 B3500 Van

Front end just started shaking while braking. Doesn't feel the same as a warped rotor (had a few of those). Replaced rotor on front right (where it seems to be coming from), no difference. Disabled front brakes one at a time, still no difference. No shaking when just using the back brakes.

I know the front right lower ball joint is pretty toast but nothing moves dramatically when I pull on the tire. Replaced the center drag link which was pretty worn. Maybe slightly less shudder/shaking.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It feels like something is loose when braking not just that the vibration is from a rotor.

Thanks.

·
Elder User
3,119 Posts
I've seen chunks of rotor surface material come off and cause the symptom you've described. Did you fully inspect both sides of the front right rotor?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I actually replaced the front right rotor with one from another van and no change in symptoms. Also, clamped off the brake cable to disable the caliper and still no change in symptoms. I've usually felt a warped rotor has more of a pulsing feel to it and is worse at high speeds. This seems to be somewhat independent of speed and is a violent shaking. I've never felt it in my other vans which is why I'm a bit perplexed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1998 B3500 Van

Front end just started shaking while braking. Doesn't feel the same as a warped rotor (had a few of those). Replaced rotor on front right (where it seems to be coming from), no difference. Disabled front brakes one at a time, still no difference. No shaking when just using the back brakes.

I know the front right lower ball joint is pretty toast but nothing moves dramatically when I pull on the tire. Replaced the center drag link which was pretty worn. Maybe slightly less shudder/shaking.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It feels like something is loose when braking not just that the vibration is from a rotor.

Thanks.
I’ve had that happen and it turned to be a caliper was sticking. I thought a wheel was coming off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it to a shop and that is what I was told.
And they said the stuck caliper warped the rotor? That seems to be what I'm leaning towards right now but new rotors are a bit of a pain on these vans. Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: So the only thing I did to the van before the shudder started was to replace the right rear tire that had a slow leak in it. Just for kicks before i started to order new rotors I swapped the new tire for the old one and drove it to the shop. No shudder at all when braking! So I'm thinking that tire dropped a weight or something and that caused the shudder in the front. Can't say I understand why it caused something in the front end but glad to have the van driving again. Thanks.

·
Elder User
3,119 Posts
I swapped the new tire for the old one and drove it to the shop. No shudder at all when braking! So I'm thinking that tire dropped a weight or something and that caused the shudder in the front.
A missing weight will cause tire bounce at higher speeds, not when braking. It's more likely a bent rim or a cord broke in the new tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts